Do you service a brand new gun before break-in?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What do you do & why?

Dry patch down the barrel, oil the rails or internals, full clean & strip, OR just go shoot it?

Also, what is your break-in process? I'm mainly thinking off the shelf handguns and rifles. Obviously some people go to great lengths for their competition barrels, but that isn't me.

I don't really have a system per say, so I was curious what the community thinks. Would have done a poll but wanted to leave it open ended.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Learned my lesson on a new Springfield XDM. Didn't clean it, worst shooting experience ever! Every malfunction you can think of, couldn't shoot more than two cartridges in a row without one. I learned alot clearing jams as a bonus. Cleaned it and went back to the range the following weekend, didn't miss a beat in 250 rds. I have had new pistols that I have not cleaned that functioned flawlessly, but from that point on I will always thoroughly clean a new pistol.

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am in the camp of run a patch down the barrel followed by bullets, lots of bullets. I take light oil to keep things lubricated at the range, clean after every trip-for handguns.
For rifles I tend to do the shoot one, clean it thing for the first 10 or so then just clean when accuracies drop off. Unless rimfire then well who doesn’t abuse rimfire 🤫

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have stated before and I still do not know why, I had a brand new Model 13 Smith that would only fire the three test fired chambers. The other three chambers would not fire but gave little to no hammer strikes. I sent it back to Smith and within a week, had another brand new Model 13 with an entirely different serial number. No explanation at all, just a here's your new gun. Carried it for years with no malfunctions at all.

Yes, I check a gun very thoroughly before firing it which includes a field strip a cleaning, and a functionality check.

forindooruseonly

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depends what it is. All get at least a patch down the bore and the preservatives off, and lubed to my satisfaction.

I field strip stuff so A) I can check the quality control and B) get to know the mechanics of the gun better if its a new model for me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom