Do you use a deer decoy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DreamingMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The marketers are getting me interested in a deer decoy. I've done a little reading about them, bt am still very ignorant.

Do any of you guys use a deer decoy? I am very tempted to buy one and try it out on a Sunday afternoon bow hunt (can't go Saturday, coz I'll be watching :osu beat Nebraska :) )

What brands would you suggest? Buck? Doe?

Dreaming Man
:osu

WacosSon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The marketers are getting me interested in a deer decoy. I've done a little reading about them, bt am still very ignorant.

Do any of you guys use a deer decoy? I am very tempted to buy one and try it out on a Sunday afternoon bow hunt (can't go Saturday, coz I'll be watching :osu beat Nebraska :) )

What brands would you suggest? Buck? Doe?

Dreaming Man
:osu

I think it some areas they might work, but I trust acorn rage or bone-d before I would a plastic decoy. They might be curious, but the other stuff will keep them around...

willystruck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got a couple of them. Be careful! I've almost fallen out of tree stands (laughing) several times watching deer try to get a reaction out of the decoys. They will jump, flag and run a couple steps, stomp, bleat and snort just trying to get the decoy to move. They seem to ignore anything else around them at the time.
So the answer is YES they do work! HOWEVER .... DO NOT use them during any kind of firearms season. To much of a chance of getting shots in your direction. Great for archery only though.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have one, but have only set it out one time last season, and didn't see anything that day, so thats my experience.
The guy that I hunt on, has used them for a couple of seasons, and said that the young bucks coming to it during rut are a riot to watch:D

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have used them to good effect in Kansas and had bucks come right up to them mad after rattling. They sure do not do as well in Oklahoma though but that may be changing as our buck population improves from the 2 buck limit. I have seen more mature bucks the last few years and that is what it takes to make the decoy work. They have to be competing for does and want to fight.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have always wanted to use one too, it makes a little bit of sense that it COULD work. But then again, I can see it screwing some stuff up as well. Never know until you try.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the buck decoy that is a full size hardbody that you assembly at your spot. I try to put a real deer tail on it and that seems to help. It is hard to fool their scent if they get too close to it....they tend to jump backwards a few feet and get confused looks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom