Doc & Sda

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crosstimbers Okie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What law did they cite that the subject broke?

57 OS 21, which predates SDA. It says that one may not bring a firearm on to DOC property where prisoners are located without authority. Then in 1995, the same body that wrote Title 57 changed Title 21 and granted authority to do it via the SDA. Then DOC created policies to securely store said handguns but now it wants to prosecute an employee even as those policies are in effect.

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, DOC has a policy, the employee follows it, and then gets prosecuted for a non-crime. Got it.

I hate to say it, but this may be one only way to correct their behavior, through case law.

Crosstimbers Okie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
True. It's a shame that a good man will have to spend six figures to defend himself in court, provided the judge doesn't dismiss the charges once his attorney presents all the reasons to dismiss.

Strange that the decision to prosecute was made after the lawsuit was filed...

shooterdave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look, guys as a DOC employee for more than a decade I think I am qualified to opine on this subject. First, this action by Addison and subsequently the Cleveland Co. Judge is quid pro quo for the agency. Second, I've read several post in this thread that have really bad-mouthed DOC employees. I ask those critical if:
1. They now or ever have worked for DOC?
2. If not, were you guests at one of our fine facilities?

If you are just talking without firsthand experience, you need to quit. Most of the employees of DOC are really dedicated to their job. We damned sure are not in it for the great money!! If you are an ex-inmate, we don't care what you think as this is a firearms related site and you need to go find the mall ninjas on the Airsoft sites. If you are an employee or ex, put the blame where it needs to be; with the administration. They are the very few who dictate what the rest of us are judged by. This is a great example of the close-minded leaders that we deal with on a daily basis.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Look, guys as a DOC employee for more than a decade I think I am qualified to opine on this subject. First, this action by Addison and subsequently the Cleveland Co. Judge is quid pro quo for the agency. Second, I've read several post in this thread that have really bad-mouthed DOC employees. I ask those critical if:
1. They now or ever have worked for DOC?
2. If not, were you guests at one of our fine facilities?

If you are just talking without firsthand experience, you need to quit. Most of the employees of DOC are really dedicated to their job. We damned sure are not in it for the great money!! If you are an ex-inmate, we don't care what you think as this is a firearms related site and you need to go find the mall ninjas on the Airsoft sites. If you are an employee or ex, put the blame where it needs to be; with the administration. They are the very few who dictate what the rest of us are judged by. This is a great example of the close-minded leaders that we deal with on a daily basis.

What thread are you reading? Several posts bad-mouthing DOC employees? Maybe it's been cleaned up since you posted this but I'm not seeing it.

Seems to be a pretty good running discussion about an officer at DOC getting steamrolled....

Crosstimbers Okie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah. He must be confusing this one with another thread somewhere.

The last I was told on this is the "suspect" is not too worried. And he shouldn't be because he has a statute and DOC's own policies to protect him.

Bad news. Both the NRA and GOA were contacted about this. Neither deigned to reply. The ORA knows about it too. But they aren't interested either apparently.

Crosstimbers Okie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You would think an organization dedicated to representing gunowners to the legislature would make sure that a lawmaker like the SDA's sponsor, Senator Frank Shurden, or Senator Randy Brogdon, or Representative Charles Key knew about this case of a state agency's flagrant violation of state law and an individual's rights under state law.

Latest posts

Top Bottom