Does anybody have a Ruger Ranch Bolt gun in 7.62x39?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMG_1593.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, I was getting ready to go shoot this rifle when I realized I had no more opened cans of 7.62x39 non-corrosive ammo.
OMG! I can't believe we shot all that Wolf & Tulammo up. There's no way I'm shooting corrosive in this brand new gun.
That stuff is for my blaster gun.
No way I want to cut open a tin of my stash.
Fortunately I know of little traveled shops that still have decent stock.
So, I slid by one and they had Tulammo hp's for $7.95 a box. Not bad, but Not terrible either.
So, I'm stocked up and off to the range Friday.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I refuse to shoot any ammo in my 762x39 Howa Thais not brass jacketed. Be careful as a buttload of ammo out there today in this caliber is only Brass Washed which means steel jacketed! Both the Ruger and Howa bores deserve to be spared steel as their bores are much more refined than AKs or other 762s.

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I refuse to shoot any ammo in my 762x39 Howa Thais not brass jacketed. Be careful as a buttload of ammo out there today in this caliber is only Brass Washed which means steel jacketed! Both the Ruger and Howa bores deserve to be spared steel as their bores are much more refined than AKs or other 762s.

Meh if I shoot enough to accomplish that in a bolt action I’ll gladly pay ruger to spin a new barrel on mine

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, I haven't been shooting in a long time other than blasting tin cans and that's been a couple years.
Well I tried this morning. Ran off and left the spotting scope. Then when I got there the concrete benches were hard and cold.
No rest, no bipod, no rolled up coat, nothing. Man I'm getting forgetful.
Then while trying to sight the thing in, I realized a Nikon with that BDC crap is a little tough to see the bull.
Anyways I had a pretty good time considering.
That Ruger's stock is about 3 or 4 inches too short. A slip on pad and a winter jacket may fix that good enough.
The gun overall worked just fine.
The group was not the greatest. But for wobbling on boney old elbows on cold concrete not a bad group.
15 shots covered by a 3x5 card.
Even so those would all hit a deer at a hundred yds.
Well I'll have a lead sled, bipod, sand bags or carpet roll by next time.20201016_134906.jpg

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, I haven't been shooting in a long time other than blasting tin cans and that's been a couple years.
Well I tried this morning. Ran off and left the spotting scope. Then when I got there the concrete benches were hard and cold.
No rest, no bipod, no rolled up coat, nothing. Man I'm getting forgetful.
Then while trying to sight the thing in, I realized a Nikon with that BDC crap is a little tough to see the bull.
Anyways I had a pretty good time considering.
That Ruger's stock is about 3 or 4 inches too short. A slip on pad and a winter jacket may fix that good enough.
The gun overall worked just fine.
The group was not the greatest. But for wobbling on boney old elbows on cold concrete not a bad group.
15 shots covered by a 3x5 card.
Even so those would all hit a deer at a hundred yds.
Well I'll have a lead sled, bipod, sand bags or carpet roll by next time.View attachment 177353

Biggest thing I can suggest is make sure the action screws are tight and the oem scope base wiggles loose first outing for me. Needs the oil cleaned off and loctite. That took me from 2” groups to 1”ish groups. My action screws too a little more tightening when I put my inch pound wrench on it. I think the manual has all the values.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Checked all that. Was more like cataracts, boney elbows and shortness of stock.
Gonna find a better scope and put this one back on my blackout.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I absolutely love mine, and see similar accuracy out of mine as well. However, if I let things get warm, my patterns seem to develop flyers, usually high and to the left. Any suggestions?

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I absolutely love mine, and see similar accuracy out of mine as well. However, if I let things get warm, my patterns seem to develop flyers, usually high and to the left. Any suggestions?

Some guys open up barrrl channel more since there is flex and fill voids with epoxy to stiffen it. I haven’t felt the need yet maybe when I start working up some handloads for hunting.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some guys open up barrrl channel more since there is flex and fill voids with epoxy to stiffen it. I haven’t felt the need yet maybe when I start working up some handloads for hunting.

yeah, that’s definitely one of my only gripes about this gun, is the floppy stock. Ill get to putting in some work.

Latest posts

Top Bottom