Dog defense to the toughest hounds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jgibs0321

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you had to carry one handgun while running long distance, 3-10 milers, and had the threat of dogs such as rottweilers, pitbulls, whatever else are tough breeds when they decide to fight or attack things, what make and model, cartridge, and bullet would you be trusting to save your limbs, others alongside you, and of course your life? (Yes Im aware of shot placement and thanks to Grady County Sheriffs department, I understand the justified vs non justified conditions considering dogs outside of city limits).

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've dealt with a lot of mean dogs in my day, and have been attacked by a pitbull before. Jumped up, grabbed me by the bicep, pulled me down to the ground, and grabbed me by the throat.

I've sprayed many dogs with various types of pepper spray, everything from bear spray, to LEO issue gel, to some crappy water based stuff for civilians. I will not trust pepper spray to stop a determined, aggressive dog. Ive had it fail horribly almost every time I have used it.

In my opinion, caliber doesn't matter too much. You don't have to worry about underpenetration too much on dogs. What you do have to worry about is collateral damage/overpenetration. My choice is a revolver in 38spl or 357mag with the baddest hollowpoints that will expand at point blank range. Revolvers aren't gonna jam up if you're limp wristing it, or pressing the muzzle against something. If you have a misfire, you just need one hand to continue pulling the trigger. Between how fast dogs are, and most situations, dogs typically don't get shot until they're either right up on you, or on you. So in my mind, the best thing to do is to do the typical mean dog thing: Try to make them leave you alone. When that fails, they're coming at you. You draw, they're biting you, and you essentially just need a "get off me" firearm at that point. But with the terminal effectiveness to stop the dog from continuing attacking you. Draw, place the firearm against the animal attached to you, ensure you aren't shooting yourself or any buildings etc with the passthrough, and pull the trigger.

Last edited:

madokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i read online from some cops about this a couple of years ago ,they said the .40 usually puts a dog down in one shot the 9mm needs 2-4.i agree with the wheelgun use, a .357 or larger,no subnose guns,, at least 3 inch barrel ..those short 1 3/4 or 2 inch barrels loose too much velocity.and power.and the longer sight radius is good for putting the bullets where u want them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom