Dog defense to the toughest hounds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
You need to expand on this one. Gosh that is crazy.
Was working as a dog catcher. Someone was moving, and left their pit behind. Neighbors were concerned, captured the dog, and tired the dog up to a fence. I showed up, and managed to get the dog off the fence. She was all sorts of mad and didn't like me at that point. As I was loading the dog up into the truck, the owner came home. Explained they were coming back to get the dog etc etc. I didn't really care, as long as the dog got to go home and off my truck. Less work for me, one less dog in the shelter. So I let her get her dog out. She stood there talking with a neighbor, dog standing there with the leash on that I found it with. Turns out it was the neighbors leash, and they wanted it back. So I grabbed one of my "giveaway leashes" out of my truck for the lady. Go to hand it to her so she can swap leashes out on her dog. As I extended my right arm holding the leash, the pit jumps up, grabs me by my right bicep, and I go down with the dog. Dogs bite harder, and pull if you fight them. Hard to get free. But if you "go with them" much less damage happens, and its easier to get away. Its kinda like fighting a snare. by the time I hit my knees, the dog is releasing my arm and going for my neck. I remember feeling teeth, and I was grabbing the dogs windpipe with my right hand, as I was reaching for anything I could grab with my left (my asp and knife were on my right side, unreachable) dog started choking, lady pulled dog away. I told her to put her dog in the car and to either not get out of her car until I left, or to leave and come back after I left. I ended up with some badly frayed nerves, a pretty bad gouge in my right bicep, and some very superficial scratches on either side of my neck from the canines.

Lessons learned:

Keep something usable for defense/offense available in an ambidextrious position

in a possible defensive situation, do not allow your primary arm/appendage be the easy target

don't trust dogs that appear calm, remove them from the situation if possible.

Last edited:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score

Jgibs0321

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've dealt with a lot of mean dogs in my day, and have been attacked by a pitbull before. Jumped up, grabbed me by the bicep, pulled me down to the ground, and grabbed me by the throat.

I've sprayed many dogs with various types of pepper spray, everything from bear spray, to LEO issue gel, to some crappy water based stuff for civilians. I will not trust pepper spray to stop a determined, aggressive dog. Ive had it fail horribly almost every time I have used it.

In my opinion, caliber doesn't matter too much. You don't have to worry about underpenetration too much on dogs. What you do have to worry about is collateral damage/overpenetration. My choice is a revolver in 38spl or 357mag with the baddest hollowpoints that will expand at point blank range. Revolvers aren't gonna jam up if you're limp wristing it, or pressing the muzzle against something. If you have a misfire, you just need one hand to continue pulling the trigger. Between how fast dogs are, and most situations, dogs typically don't get shot until they're either right up on you, or on you. So in my mind, the best thing to do is to do the typical mean dog thing: Try to make them leave you alone. When that fails, they're coming at you. You draw, they're biting you, and you essentially just need a "get off me" firearm at that point. But with the terminal effectiveness to stop the dog from continuing attacking you. Draw, place the firearm against the animal attached to you, ensure you aren't shooting yourself or any buildings etc with the passthrough, and pull the trigger.
Yep. The 2 nearest bite incidents Ive had, thats exactly how it went. On me in a matter of seconds while I get as big and loud as I can to try and deter them. I dont draw guns unless Im convinced I dont have any other options. Good points on collateral and agreed. 357 LCR is looking appropriate

Jgibs0321

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Was working as a dog catcher. Someone was moving, and left their pit behind. Neighbors were concerned, captured the dog, and tired the dog up to a fence. I showed up, and managed to get the dog off the fence. She was all sorts of mad and didn't like me at that point. As I was loading the dog up into the truck, the owner came home. Explained they were coming back to get the dog etc etc. I didn't really care, as long as the dog got to go home and off my truck. Less work for me, one less dog in the shelter. So I let her get her dog out. She stood there talking with a neighbor, dog standing there with the leash on that I found it with. Turns out it was the neighbors leash, and they wanted it back. So I grabbed one of my "giveaway leashes" out of my truck for the lady. Go to hand it to her so she can swap leashes out on her dog. As I extended my right arm holding the leash, the pit jumps up, grabs me by my right bicep, and I go down with the dog. Dogs bite harder, and pull if you fight them. Hard to get free. But if you "go with them" much less damage happens, and its easier to get away. Its kinda like fighting a snare. by the time I hit my knees, the dog is releasing my arm and going for my neck. I remember feeling teeth, and I was grabbing the dogs windpipe with my right hand, as I was reaching for anything I could grab with my left (my asp and knife were on my right side, unreachable) dog started choking, lady pulled dog away. I told her to put her dog in the car and to either not get out of her car until I left, or to leave and come back after I left. I ended up with some badly frayed nerves, a pretty bad gouge in my left bicep, and some very superficial scratches on either side of my neck from the canines.

Lessons learned:

Keep something usable for defense/offense available in an ambidextrious position

in a possible defensive situation, do not allow your primary arm/appendage be the easy target

don't trust dogs that appear calm, remove them from the situation if possible.
Yep. People think a wagging tail or that “curious” trot to you is harmless until something like you described happens. I scout routes to avoid places with dogs, but Im not always going to be living in the same place and dogs arent getting banned like AR15s so… better to be prepped as best one can be. Also its windy here, something about spraying fire water at dogs just to get it back in my own face sounds like a wonderful idea.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've tried to use OC on dogs at least a dozen times. It never worked. One time it startled a dog long enough for me to get to safety. I never shot one, but a few got some pretty solid strikes from an ASP. No way in the world I'd trust OC on a vicious dog.

Once, on a propane delivery, a pit bull decided to have me for lunch. I hadn't started the pump yet but there was plenty of pressure in the hose. I opened the valve right in that dog's face and watched in amazement as it bit the end of the nozzle while taking pressurized liquid propane to the face.

I'd use a revolver

RockHopper

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Introducing the all new Trunk Monkey...jogging stroller edition. Tactically expandable with side panier rifle/shotgun scabbards. Under-carriage claymore optional. (L.E. only)

Latest posts

Top Bottom