Don't Take Coins off of Tombstones!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This video seems particularly relevant given the current holiday weekend. If you want to know why you sometimes see coins on the headstones of veterans, and what the different denominations of the coins represent, here you go. I knew the part about putting coins on the eyes or in the mouth of the deceased to pay Charon to carry him across the River Styx, but I'd never heard about leaving coins on headstones.

For Sgt. Hy, this is a very subdued video, with precious little swearing.

FWIW, I was raised to believe that it was just common decency to not screw with stuff on/around headstones, but I guess not everyone sees it that way.

GIJROB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I get what he is saying but I know for a fact you are not supposed to put anything on the head stones in any national cemetery pre the policy's set forth. That being said (former national cemetery caretaker) I never care for that and many other that the put in place, one of the many reasons I quit working for them. Let's be honest the VA doesn't care about veterans alive or dead.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've not watched the video, but several years back, I was looking through one of the Japanese Internment camps, specifically the one in Grenada, CO and went into the small cemetery that is there. A number of headstones there had coins on the headstones, including on one for a baby that had died.

I guess some don't believe that the "tradition" applies only to veterans.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First time I’ve ever heard of that tradition and I’ve been to several national veterans cemeteries in Ks, New Mexico and Colorado.
Our local VFW that I’m a member of, puts flags on Veterans graves in our local cemetery.
Can’t say I’ve seen any coins on headstones.
Maybe there were and I missed them? I’ll certainly be looking in the future.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom