Don't Take Coins off of Tombstones!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been leaving pennies on my dad & big sister’s head stones all my adult life. I also have left them on the stones of very close friends.

Nobody ever told me about any traditions. I just started doing it. It means something different to me. It’s a “penny for your thoughts”. It would be nice to be able to get their advice at times. At those times, I leave a penny and try to think about what they might tell me.

To each their own. We all grieve differently.

People need to leave things they find in the cemetery alone. Unless it is obviously trash, if you didn’t put it there don’t touch it. Seems pretty simple to me.

geezer77

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A very good friend of ours, an elderly widow with a wonderful sense of humor, passed a couple of years back. She always threatened her two sons that they'd best keep walking the straight and narrow after she's gone, because she'll be watching them every minute, even if she had to use a flashlight. Nobody saw me slip a little LED pocket flashlight into her casket just before they closed it. Every few months when I drive by the cemetery where she resides, I stop by to say hi and leave her a fresh AA battery. I suppose the groundskeeper must pick them up. Unless, of course, ...nah..

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I seen it in cemeteries. I’ve always wondered if it was disrespectful to rearrange the coins into rows like formations by their denominations of value.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
People need to leave things they find in the cemetery alone. Unless it is obviously trash, if you didn’t put it there don’t touch it. Seems pretty simple to me.
Yeah, that’s something that even my youngest nieces and nephews understand (well, maybe not the 15 month old). It’s kind of important, as they usually go to see their stillborn brother’s grave at least twice per year, and the parents and siblings of his neighbors leave toys (and other things of interest to kids) on their headstones.

I listened to a little bit of the start of the kid’s explanation of why he took the coin (basically, he thought the coins would corrode and damage the stone), and I can’t fault him for wanting to look out for the stones, but still, if it ain’t yours, don’t screw with it.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I listened to a little bit of the start of the kid’s explanation of why he took the coin (basically, he thought the coins would corrode and damage the stone), and I can’t fault him for wanting to look out for the stones, but still, if it ain’t yours, don’t screw with it.

Where did you hear that? I guess I missed it in Angry Cops’ video if it was there.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where did you hear that? I guess I missed it in Angry Cops’ video if it was there.
It happened after AC posted his video, so he linked to it in the comments under his video. It’s the second pinned comment (under the link to the video’s sponsor). It’s a TikTok video that starts with the kid taking the quarter back to the tombstone, then he starts explaining that he didn’t know about the tradition and why he took it.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It happened after AC posted his video, so he linked to it in the comments under his video. It’s the second pinned comment (under the link to the video’s sponsor). It’s a TikTok video that starts with the kid taking the quarter back to the tombstone, then he starts explaining that he didn’t know about the tradition and why he took it.

Thank you!

Latest posts

Top Bottom