Deer hunting with cedars?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For you fellas with big cedars and your stands. Are you carving out a quarter of the limbs and putting up a ladder stand with branches all around you except about a 45* swath of branches removed?
I’ve posted before that I hunt under cedars in a ground blind, and it’s been very productive for me. I also use cedars as cover by putting a ladder stand behind them on a cottonwood.
IMG_2783.jpeg

IMG_0081.jpeg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We don't have many cedars. Actually, actively eradicate them. Each drinks almost 20 gallons of water a day and takes away from the soil moisture that grass needs to grow for cattle.
@DRC458 and myself actually spent one afternoon shooting young cedars off at the ground with 12 ga #2 lead shot on a 40 acre pasture a couple of years ago. When pheasant hunting the CRP grass, it was a rule if one sees a cedar, shoot it at the ground level to remove it.
I guess you can tell I hate cedars. Our neighbor with around 10K acres actively eradicates them as well.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Five wild things I despise: hogs, coyotes, coons, blackberries and cedars. When ATVing around I always carry my pruners and if I see one sprouting, it gets whacked.

I understand the scent control scenario but they will take over quite quickly. The good news is I have them pretty much under control except for on one part of the property. They won that battle in my personal war.

The only ones I see other than there is a big one every here or there.

08H3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hunt a spot up north that’s about 70 ish acres and primarily overgrown with cedars, and haven’t had a bad year yet in the last 13 I’ve hunted it. I’ve shot deer fro a pop up put by a cedar, from a elevated box blind on top a hill, from the back of a atv, and just walking the riverside. No plots just one feeder and a spot I dump a bag of corn out at every few weeks during season.

IMG_9396.jpeg
IMG_9191.jpeg

08H3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd cut every cedar down on my property if I had the energy.
I have permission to cut all I want down on the place I hunt. But my main focus has been cutting them down and clearing them away from the old Elm and other hardwood trees so they can live. The cedars will choke them out if they get a chance.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have permission to cut all I want down on the place I hunt. But my main focus has been cutting them down and clearing them away from the old Elm and other hardwood trees so they can live. The cedars will choke them out if they get a chance.
Under cedars and dead elms is where I find morel mushrooms.

Latest posts

Top Bottom