Deer hunting with cedars?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spooncg33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a new lease in Logan county and it’s pretty wooded, but most of them are cedars I noticed when walking around the property. Without having tons of acorn trees, etc have you guys had much luck with deer staying around property that is mainly cedars? I’ll have a small food plot and feeder, just not sure how many deer are in the area as it appears the neighbors property has lots of cedars too.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a new lease in Logan county and it’s pretty wooded, but most of them are cedars I noticed when walking around the property. Without having tons of acorn trees, etc have you guys had much luck with deer staying around property that is mainly cedars? I’ll have a small food plot and feeder, just not sure how many deer are in the area as it appears the neighbors property has lots of cedars too.
My place is in Alfalfa county, and if I didn’t have cedars and tamaracks, it would almost look like the face of the moon.
I‘m of the opinion after 20 years of hunting this property that the cover the cedars and tamaracks provide is why my place seems to hold deer and neighboring properties don’t.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I cut as little as possible, and on the back side of where I’m expecting them to come from.

In a cedar I take some 2x4’s or 2x6’s and build me a stand, usually you’ll have good limbs for your feet.

I have put up ladder stands in them and I try to cut out as little as possible so the stand will still have some cover.

User_3155

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If there's hardwoods or fields nearby it'll work! One of the best places I hunt and see deer when no one else does, is right smack dab in the middle of an old grown up field full of cedars. I think the deer like to come bed down in there because it's out of the wind and pretty dense. They use it as a major crossing to get to the hardwoods and fields around. Always bucks chasing does through there, just have to be ready when they pop out! And FWIW, I'm in an elcheapo ground blind. Silly does will darn near walk up and stick their heads in.

Latest posts

Top Bottom