download mags by one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikey176293

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've heard you should download mags by one so it doesn't cause failure to feed due to spring staying too compacted. I've heard that this is more for double stack and single stack is ok to fill up. How do you guys feel about this?

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's been my experience that if you get good quality mags that is really not an issue at least not for me.

On my original Colt single stacks I have left them loaded for a couple of years at a time and when I shot them I have never had any failure (knock on wood). I have only had my double stack pistol a little over a year and rotate my mags but so far not one failure.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
about the only advantage to down- loading a mag would be this... the feed lips won't have as much pressure on them. If you happened on a magazine that was not correctly heat treated that pressure could force the lips out of dimension

yeller

Marksman
Reaction score
I down load by one on double stack mags just to make it easier to insert the mag. I do it with my pistols and AR's. It makes a huge difference in the amount of pressure needed to fully seat the mag.

Spooln-Rex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
load them to capacity and dont worry about it as long as they are quality mags you will be fine. my carry gun gets full mag +1 in the chamber every day and stays that way unless im going to the range or getting cleaned. and only then the chamber gets cleared and mag gets stowed eslewhere till im done.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Springs don't weaken by being compressed. They weaken by being worked. Don't worry about that part. But, some cheaper mags have been known to have problems if stored fully loaded. The upward pressure can deform the lips of them, causing feeding problems. But that shouldn't be an issue with any quality magazine. Especially if it's made of metal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom