dragunov ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
its not a dragunov, it is a PSL, the dragunov term is wrong. That is a completely differnt gun, they arent super accurate, maybe 2-3 moa unless you have 7N1 sniper ammo. They arent bad and i'd like to have one.

schlockinz

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think that they are also supposed to be fed a diet of the light ball ammo.

Ditto on the above, its not a dragunov, so don't pay a dragunov price for them. I believe that I've seen them on the net for 600-700ish, could be wrong though.

preokc

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
+ 2 on the above. A dragunov uses a gas piston similar to a sks with a rotating bolt like an AK. The PSL is basically an AK built in proportion to shoot the larger 7.62 X 54r cartridge. Often refered to as an AK on steroids.

I like the rifles but ild never buy one sight unseen. There were some that were of real poor quility released acouple years ago and around 2005-2006 there were alot of kit builds around. Look for things like poor riviting, canted sights or gas blocks, rusty bolts or bolt carriers.

With czech silver tipped ammo the one i have now will shoot about one inch groups till it starts getting hot then the groups open up to about two inches. The optics also limit the guns long range potential. Youll need to shell out some more money for better optics if you plan on shooting at any distance. The ammo was extremely cheap but has gotton more expensive.

There cheap right now so if you wanted one it would be a good time to get one. There a fun rifle and still relativly cheap to shoot.

acpjosh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even a real drag starts to open up when they get hot. We have two at USSA available for rental. They are fun to shoot. If you do your research before you buy, and can handle the rifle before hand, you should do ok. If you buy sight unseen, be sure the seller has an inspection period in case you dont like it.

preokc

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I was looking at one on Atlantic Firearms web site they look very cool .
I was wondering about the range on them as well.

The ballistics of the round are very close to the ballistics of a 7.62 X 51(308) so it drops fast after 500 meters. For long distance the reverse chevron( upside down V) leaves alot to be desired. If your wanting persicion shooting at those distances youll need a bolt gun. Ive never tried one at paper at over two hundred yards but i was hitting a two foot in diameter rock everytime at 800 yards.

rab986

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pretty much just gonna say everything that has already been said. If you are looking for a high power plinker to go shooting with your friends that have SKS or AK's, and that has the nastalgic look and wow factor, then its a good one to go with. Precision it is not... you can spend half the money and get twice the accuracy but it really depends on what you want it for.

I had one and loved shooting it, but I messed up by giving an answer when the last guy that shot it asked "how much?".

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
schlokinz is right they like the 147 grain light ball, the heavy ball is too hard on the reciever. I have no idea why the importers call these PSL's "dragunovs" its like calling a ford taurus a mustang. If my memory serves me correctly the ones with the TGI import mark are made from parts kits and are actually inferior to the Century arms ones that are actually made in romania. I came very close to buying one back in 06, i got a POS cetme instead

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What everyone above has said. The barrel is somewhat thin-walled, so it flexes if you shoot the PSL rapidly. For longer-ranged shooting, I usually take my time between shots, and have no issues. Thanks to the gas system, the recoil with 147-gr light ball is pretty mild, too. I haven't had any issues with the standard 4X scope out to 500 yards.

Latest posts

Top Bottom