dragunov ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The original Drag's utilized for Soviet Cold war tactic's was never intended as an extream long range gun. 500yds/meters was considered normal distance, and the purpose was to remove the higher ranks as the military rolled forward. Sniping only came into play if there were any bottlenecks encountered.

schlockinz

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
.308 has been tried and true, you'll find a lot of info on that for paper punching, and the gun shouldn't be too expensive. It'll be lighter on the kick than most long range guns. I wouldn't try to shoot a deer at 600 with it though, I'm not sure how many bullets will perform when its going that slow.

Otherwise, I'd say you are starting to look at the mags (7mm might be a good choice, but it will kick you).

TerryP

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The ballistics of the round are very close to the ballistics of a 7.62 X 51(308) so it drops fast after 500 meters. For long distance the reverse chevron( upside down V) leaves alot to be desired. If your wanting persicion shooting at those distances youll need a bolt gun. Ive never tried one at paper at over two hundred yards but i was hitting a two foot in diameter rock everytime at 800 yards.

When you are able to hit inside 24" at 800 yds every time, I'd say the chevron reticle is working rather well for you..

T.P.

preokc

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
When you are able to hit inside 24" at 800 yds every time, I'd say the chevron reticle is working rather well for you..

T.P.

Yea the scope i have works pretty good. Its a POSP 8X42B fixed eight power. Once i got it sighted in and the turrets set to the proper range indexing the BDC works excellent. Also once the scope mount and the rail on the rifle settled into each other the scope holds zero when remounted. The illumination is nice too when shooting around dawn.

Ive seen these on GB and i love to try one.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=156809624

For target shooting though nothing to me is better than a fine duplex reticle.

Red Rooster 308 can produce good results at 600 yards BUT presicion shooting at that distance can get expensive. Plan on 1500 to 2000 for a rifle and scope. Plus unless you reload match ammo will be over a buck a round.

Fly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is one funny thread.75% of the people that posted don't even own one
but there quoting what they have read.preokc post the best of all above.Buy
one with out scope & get a POSP 8X42B fixed eight power.

You will not pay any if not just a little more for a stonger power.Buy one, I
take mine to the range no matter what other guns I,m taking.It's a bast
to shoot.:homer:

txnavalaviator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I sold my psl-54 about a year ago now. it was alot of fun/ cheap to shoot .... and then the reticle in the scope spun upside down. In my opinion they are alot of fun to plink with but don't expect any better than 2.5 to 3 moa out of it (for the average shooter) and given the out come of my scope don't expect it to be ak reliable.

Latest posts

Top Bottom