Driving from N.E. Oklahoma to Las Vegas, NV

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IreneKennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since it's over 1,200 miles to Las Vegas do you think we can drive as far as Flagstaff, Az in a day without being completely exhausted? Spend the night in Flagstaff, then a quick little side trip to Grand Canyon, then on to Las Vegas. Does this sound reasonable?

We have only flown over Grand Canyon and we want to make a short stop to say we have been there. Any suggestions where to be sure to stop and view?

On our return trip, how far do you think we can safely drive from Las Vegas towards N.E. Oklahoma before stopping to rest?

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you team driving it? It's 16 hours to Flagstaff. If you and your spouse can comfortably take turns sleeping and driving then it's not so bad but still 16 hours in the same seats/vehicle is nerve frazzling for some, you would be happier adding a day to your trip IMHO. Albuquerque is dead in the middle of the route from Tulsa to Vegas, I would suggest that as your overnight point coming back.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It all depends on how much you like to drive and how often you drive. I love to travel. It would not bother me to drive that in a day. If you are not use to it, it is going to wear you down. If it was me, I would leave one day early and drive to Albuquerque NM. Hang out for the night and have an easy drive to the GC in the morning. This would give you time to enjoy it. Not sure where you are in eastern Oklahoma. Lets say you leave Tulsa about 4-5am. It is all easy highway driving into Albuquerque. You could be there around 4ish. Enjoy the town, eat dinner, and rest up. Leave about 4ish am and be at the GC at about 10am, before it is too hot. Then you are only about 4 1/2 hours from LV. That gives you time to swing by and see the Hoover Dam. Hoover Dam and the GC are both worth seeing.
How ever you go, be safe and have fun.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In case you don't alredy realize it, those "quick little side trips" can be very deceiving. You should take some more time and try to enjoy the trip. Doing a "Chevy Chase" thing at the Grand Canyon is a bad idea.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a power driver and I've tried doing that trip straight though and did not enjoy it at all that way.

I don't think you'll find it to be safe or enjoyable at all.

I normally find that 12 hours is just about enough driving (or maybe too much even) to push the edge, but that's just my opinion.

RaysZ71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I made it from here to Sumter, South Carolina, 1114.22 miles away in 15 hrs. I love to drive, specially at night, less congestion. I left at 7pm here and was in Sumter at 10 am. Caught a little morning rush in Georgia but not too bad. If your huffing it you can probably make it to Flag Staff in about 10-11 hrs easy, 12 hrs if you're doing all speed limits and enjoying the view.

Stephen Cue

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ive driven to Vegas many times. My wife and I were married there. (Little White Wedding Chapel). She is an outstanding long-distance driver. If I am "in a rush" I make it Flagstaff then my wife takes over on into Vegas; But thats pushing myself hard. Like the others have stated, its not enjoyable.

You can make it to ABQ in 9 hours tired and Tucumcari comfortabley in 7. Ever heard of 'Tucumcari Tonight'? :D.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's over 900 miles from Tulsa. You have to drive through most of Oklahoma, the Texas Panhandle, the entire width of New Mexico and half the width of Arizona. About 16 hours, not counting stops for food, fuel and bathrooms. If you had two drivers, maybe. But, that sounds a bit ambitious to me.

Stopping on the way back would be WAY more feasible. Then spend the night in Albuquerque, NM.

Latest posts

Top Bottom