Driving from N.E. Oklahoma to Las Vegas, NV

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can do it, but it will catch up with you. I used to love to drive when I was younger, these days not so much so.

My younger brother made from Florida to OK in a day, straight thru, said he would never do that again...

Kryxar

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've driven 900 miles in a day on that route, and that was as far as I wanted to go. Albuquerque is a nice midway point.

I do recommend that just after you get into New Mexico, assuming you take I 40, that you stop at Russell's Truck stop. Its about 3-5 miles into NM. They have a very nice facility and about 25 classic cars on display.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know how many of you have stayed a night or two in Tucumcari, but it is one dirty, nasty, little town with nothing to do and nothing good to eat. I know it is a little closer, but I would drive the extra time to get to Albuquerque.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know how many of you have stayed a night or two in Tucumcari, but it is one dirty, nasty, little town with nothing to do and nothing good to eat. I know it is a little closer, but I would drive the extra time to get to Albuquerque.

I did not stay in Tucumcari for those very said reasons, do everyone in your driving party and yourself a favor and continue on to Albuquerque.

briarcreekguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back in 1982, I drove all the way from Madill, Oklahoma to Flagstaff in a days time. That was back in the day when the speed limit was 55 miles an hour, so we never exceeded the limit by more than 5 miles an hour. I was 20 years old then. My girlfriend and I took turns driving. It kicked my arse back then, I'm sure I would be a physical wreck today! Break it down in shorter drives if at all possible.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it doable? absolutely, but it kind of sucks. Stay in Albq, then hit the GC, then go on to Vegas. The drive to the GC takes longer than you might think, its all back roads. It costs about $50 just to get in, so be prepared for that.

I once drove from Detroit to Stillwater in one sitting, and it was a rough drive. with 3 kids. Thank go god for dual TVs and satellite!

Latest posts

Top Bottom