Educate an Android guy about Apple Watches

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Apple was not what I would call "durable"
My Series 5 Apple Watch has proven to be exceptionally durable, and I've worn it while playing more than one thoroughly unsatisfying game of "cut a round of hay, fix the damn cutter" and "bale a round bale, fix the damn baler." It's scuffed enough to know that it has seen some miles, but for all the times it has been banged against heavy equipment and random brick/rock walls, it's in surprisingly good shape.

The Series 3 that it replaced is also still in service--I gave it to my niece, who wears it while milking her goats, working on fencing, and doing other chores around the farm. I thought its battery would be shot by now, but it's still going strong.

Here's a link to Apple's model comparison:
https://www.apple.com//watch/compare/
Personally, I'd just stick with the Series 8 and figure out what color she wants and whether she wants the 41mm or 45mm case. Unless you know what she'd like, I'd stick with the sport band and let her choose the band she wants (there are a lot of choices from Apple and others).

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Series 5 Apple Watch has proven to be exceptionally durable, and I've worn it while playing more than one thoroughly unsatisfying game of "cut a round of hay, fix the damn cutter" and "bale a round bale, fix the damn baler." It's scuffed enough to know that it has seen some miles, but for all the times it has been banged against heavy equipment and random brick/rock walls, it's in surprisingly good shape.

The Series 3 that it replaced is also still in service--I gave it to my niece, who wears it while milking her goats, working on fencing, and doing other chores around the farm. I thought its battery would be shot by now, but it's still going strong.

Here's a link to Apple's model comparison:
https://www.apple.com//watch/compare/
Personally, I'd just stick with the Series 8 and figure out what color she wants and whether she wants the 41mm or 45mm case. Unless you know what she'd like, I'd stick with the sport band and let her choose the band she wants (there are a lot of choices from Apple and others).
The one in question in our house was a Series 3...that took what should have been a no big deal contact with something and the screen was done. Not saying that it represents the overall workmanship, but it was a surprising failure for sure. Wifey is still pretty sore over that one. She has three Garmin's now herself.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's engineered well but you are tied into the Apple ecosystem. The stock wrist bands are extremely comfortable.

I had one briefly so that I could check incoming calls and texts while riding my MC, but my favorite riding gloves have a long gauntlet so the watch couldn't be seen.. and yeah that was pointless.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife and I both love ours for keeping track of our workouts, reminding us if we have been sitting too long, and all the other information it keeps at hand.

I originally got one because I was working on my fun car a lot with no one else at home and liked the idea if I got penned I had a better chance of being able to call for help since my phone always sits on the workbench out of harms way. I can turn our patio lights, hot water circulation pump, and our security alarm on/off with it if I dont have my phone with me.

I strongly second a good case and screen protector if you wife is active in even the smallest amount. I cracked the screen off my first one rolling out from under a car and putting too much load on it at an angle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom