Effective .380 ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJ Hiryuu

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the barrel lengths most current .380s have I opt for FMJ. You are gaining very little from an expanding hollow point in .380 beyond preventing over penetration. A significant portion of even major brand .380 JHPs fail to expand and act like FMJ with some rounds expanding and failing to reach appropriate penetration depth. I'll take an FMJ that can sometimes go a little deeper than I'd like than JHP that will not go deep enough or act like FMJ anyway. The effect with JHPs gets even worse with intermediate barriers like clothing.

If I were carrying a more substantial .380 pistol with more barrel like a Beretta 84/85 I would possibly reevaluate due to the risk of significant over penetration.

Cowman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a Paramedic. I had a pt once that was shot with a .380 fmj. Damm near killed them. As always it is shot placement. And the luck of the draw.

flash2710

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll throw my two cents in and agree with the guys who recommended watching "shooting the bull" 380 ammo quest. I thought it was VERY informative. I have four of his top rounds. I also have to agree on the lehigh Xtreme penetration ammo, my two 380s did not like it.

fatcpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I carry my Kahr P380 it's loaded with Buffalo Bore 100 gr hard cast lead round nose flat point ammo. Hard on the gun and hard on the hand, but I shoot it sparingly for practice. Consistent expansion with hollow points may be attainable, but rare.

Duck L'Orange

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Update: tried putting some 90gr hornady "American gunner" through a friend's Cz 83.

Inaccurate as hell. And after 100 rounds of fmj (UMC and S&B), the hornady started malfunctioning. It would ftf every 2-3 rounds, and sometimes not even chamber on the first round. I had to literally push the slide forward so it'd go into battery.

Looks like Chuck Hawks was right. He typically has given good advice, so this appears to be no exception.

I'm probably not gonna consider 380 for a defense firearm anymore, or just get some buffalo bore flat nose.

Latest posts

Top Bottom