Electric fence install around food plot?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I had to run a Hotwire years ago in a small area around a feeder, I hung lots of visual aids so the deer and cows had a better chance of seeing it in a panic situation. Plastic warning tape isn’t conductive for electricity so it won’t short out the wire. I cleaned and sprayed the area on both sides of the fence with a soil sterilizer that lasts a year to deter the cows browsing up to the fence.
What I found was the deer coming to the feeder would bolt when the feeder would start throwing and tear the fence up in their panic.
I think a gravity feeder might work better in an enclosure to keep the deer calmer, but that is just speculation on my part.
Don’t need a Hotwire now.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used a hot wire 1 year and found that a deer would hit it and get in it anyway. To be truly effective you need 2hot wires 3 feet apart. Deer have a depth perception problem therefore you need 2 sets of wire. 1 set at 18" and the inner set at around 2 2.5 '. This worked but eventually they overran it and I took it down. Just go with feeders, although it is more expensive to feed the deer protein than grow it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom