Electrical advice - old fire alarm bell

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up this schoolhouse type fire alarm bell this weekend, and after some research, realized they could be set up for 110V AC, or 6, 12, or 24V DC. There are no markings anywhere on this alarm to indicate which it could be, other than the maker’s name. I was wondering if you folks might have tips on how to determine the proper input?

7335AE3D-4DFB-4D04-9637-D0C9E44B825C.jpeg

D9F10C2F-F985-4277-A01A-E0AFEC01E635.jpeg

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The two coils are electromagnets. Since I see no rectification circuitry to convert it from AC (electromagnets only work with DC) then you are down to three choices. A dc variable power supply would be the easiest way to figure it out, but you probably don't have access to one. So you will have to use batteries to figure it out. Start with a 6v lantern battery. If that doesn't make it function or ring weakly, touch the wires to your car battery. If it rings like you would expect it to, then you have your answer. If not then it is either 24v or nonfunctional. be careful when using your car battery. If one of the coils is shorted, you could get a pretty big spark and it get hot in a hurry.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The two coils are electromagnets. Since I see no rectification circuitry to convert it from AC (electromagnets only work with DC) then you are down to three choices. A dc variable power supply would be the easiest way to figure it out, but you probably don't have access to one. So you will have to use batteries to figure it out. Start with a 6v lantern battery. If that doesn't make it function or ring weakly, touch the wires to your car battery. If it rings like you would expect it to, then you have your answer. If not then it is either 24v or nonfunctional. be careful when using your car battery. If one of the coils is shorted, you could get a pretty big spark and it get hot in a hurry.

Thanks for the advice! I do have access to a variable DC unit, so I’ll try that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom