Electrical advice - old fire alarm bell

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Timer relay module. Sorry I've not read the entire thread to know the voltages required.
Are you running A/C or D/C to the bell?

Thanks, you put me on the right track. Appears I need a “delay relay” to achieve the desired outcome. It’s a 12V DC circuit going to the bell via an AC to DC converter.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks, you put me on the right track. Appears I need a “delay relay” to achieve the desired outcome. It’s a 12V DC circuit going to the bell via an AC to DC converter.
A/C to D/C is just a simple bridge rectifier. Just don't use house current.

Bridge rectfier
https://www.digikey.com/en/products...eMZGQQTlw1jatb07zsj2agQKlvCIN7PBoC9EcQAvD_BwE
1660010137930.png

A/C goes into two posts and D/C comes out of two posts. Poof, you're done.

Altronix 6062 timer relay B and H Photo website. Grainger, Electrical houses,

1660010000354.png

6062 wiring diagrams

For a Chime
https://www.manualsdir.com/manuals/...tallation-instructions.html?page=2&original=1
1660009917946.png

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I have yet another fire alarm bell, and I’m learning about these things as I go… In this case, the wiring scheme is new to me, with multiple wires going to various parts of the rig. In the pic below, I’ve circled in yellow an item that I find odd. One of the leads goes to one of the incoming power leads, and the other lead is soldered to a black wire that goes up to the underside of the electromagnetic coils, but I have yet to remove the coils to find out exactly where. Before I futz with the layout though, I’d like to know what the item is. It appears to be a capacitor based on the markings (which are the only ones on this item), but I can’t see why the alarm would need one. I get “OL” on a multimeter when trying to measure resistance between the two leads coming out of the item. Anyone have any tips on what it is?

24A688D0-13EB-4814-844E-7C77EBFBCA02.jpeg

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Capacitor placement is simple. It creates a resonant circuit with the coils and causes the ringer to resonate at the particular ring frequency (~20-40hz). It also blocks the 48vdc talk battery voltage to the ringer while passing the AC ring voltage (~90vac). If the cap is open it simply won't ring.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, folks. I’m learning a lot about how these alarm bells work!

I have a new-to-me bell; this one has a tag that says 24V, .38 amps, and when I look inside the housing, there’s a single big-butt electromagnet with a striker nested in the center. I don’t see any converters or capacitors, so I’m assuming this one runs on DC. However, when I hook it up to the DC variable power supply and dial in 24V and 1 amp, the striker retreats into the EM and stops. When I cut the power, the striker is released and emerges slightly. I can pull it out some more, but when power is applied, it retreats.

Wouldn’t that be a sign of AC power such that the striker is alternately pushed and pulled? I didn’t want to just plug in an AC cord before asking here, as I don’t care to see lots of sparks, smoke, and fire ;)

Pics below.

F87C2825-8F9F-4B1B-8FB9-670F120814B2.jpeg

29561B95-6BB8-4B91-8010-3320C4E8AB17.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom