Electricians or people that understand wiring, test me

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah that was kind of what I figured they would do. I watch too many video's where they are setting up stuff like that on the small scale. Otherwise they would need to have some sort of a transmission that could convert the rotational energy in the blades to a particular constant speed for the generator at all times. More moving parts and a lot more weight up in the air on the tower.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like a typical IT wiring job. They don't have a clue on how to use cable trays.....
No, we know how to use cable trays, and even conduit (BTW, if you ever send an electrician to run data conduit, you should be repeatedly kicked in the tenders with a steel-toed boot--they have no concept of needing to be able to replace cables). We just get the "hey, we gotta have this thing working fifteen minutes ago!" call from somebody with some stroke so we make it work, then it goes into production so we can't disconnect it to do it the way we would've if somebody hadn't turned lack of planning on their part into emergency on our part...

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LOL, for me running cables like that isn't work unless it's crawling through some crappy area's trying to get it all done as fast as possible. When I have time to plan stuff out and do it right I actually enjoy cabling.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BTW, I was kidding about having electricians run data conduit, although a few couldn't understand why I absolutely, positively refused to let them use flex conduit, and one contractor took "X-sized conduit with a single sweeping 90" to mean that he could put as many bends as he wanted in the conduit as long as they weren't 90 degrees.

Yeah, our data cable pullers were ready to string him up from the highest tree by the time they were done...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No, we know how to use cable trays, and even conduit (BTW, if you ever send an electrician to run data conduit, you should be repeatedly kicked in the tenders with a steel-toed boot--they have no concept of needing to be able to replace cables). We just get the "hey, we gotta have this thing working fifteen minutes ago!" call from somebody with some stroke so we make it work, then it goes into production so we can't disconnect it to do it the way we would've if somebody hadn't turned lack of planning on their part into emergency on our part...

HAHA! We put in a Serial number 1 and number 2 of a power plant control system that cost 24 million dollars each. When ABB left, the server cabinets were a frigging nightmare, worse than the pic commented on. During the next overhaul when the servers were offline, a crew of us took almost a month to cut the cables to length, put in cable trays, label the cables and make them presentable. I don't know if you have ever seen "combed" cable runs, but in power plants, people take pride in running cables where the outside cables/wires are "combed". You can take a cable in a bundle that is on top, fourth from the right, and 200' later it will still be the fourth cable from the right.
It sounds like you take a little more pride in your work than most of the IT cable work I've seen, so good for you. :D
Edit: wish I could show you the cable bundles in a pic, but I'm retired from there.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its amazing how much I've learned about residential electrical wiring just because it interacts with cable wiring. Had a customer who "rewired" his house himself, this included cable, phone, data and electrical. The cable, phone and data he did a good job on (even used quad shield coax which surprised the hell out of me). But he was constantly having issues afterwards and blamed Cox for it. I was like tech number 20th in a 4 month span. I was outside testing everything I could think of when all of the sudden I got a nasty shock while touching the ground block (I had already tested for ground feedback and found none). I tested it again, nothing. I went in to ask him what he was just doing and he said he was microwaving something. I went out, hooked up my multimeter and told him to fire it up again, sure enough I was getting 126 v off the ground block. I took in my outlet tester and he had wired up that outlet backwards on ground vs neutral (don't ask me how). Tested other outlets and found several others that were the same. This was early in my days as a field tech and since then I've looked up and studied house electrical to learn more about it.

And the more I know the more I kinda freak out when I go into attics and see the butchery that people pass for electrical wiring.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had a guy bring me a computer once because he was having issues. He said it would power on flash bios and maybe get into the os and crash. Had it at my place and it worked fine. I goofed around with it for about an hour, ran updates, etc. Called him up and said it was working fine never found an issue. He went home and same problem. Told him to try a different outlet on a different circuit. Something about the outlet he was using was causing an issue. Never took a meter over there but I would guess that it was either a connection wired wrong or a line that was not getting the right voltage so the computer would run but not be stable.

And I agree it is amazing what will pass as being ok wiring wise for some people. I have seen connections made that would probably have an inspection causing the building to be condemned. I always try and make sure things are routed nicely and work well whatever I am doing. When I first put something in and have to rush I always make it a point to go back through and make it right as soon as I can no matter if it is high voltage or low voltage.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to know several of the electricians at OU, and they had plenty of stories to tell between the crap electrical contractors have pulled and working with wiring in century-old buildings (lets just say that wiring standards in 1919 weren't quite the same as they are in 2019).

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is what I know about electricity.
QDZHhpvRKZQNmZKFJlpuRHaGjVHFz47Bd48sn-b-bo4.jpg

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LOL, I know marginally more than that. But I like to learn about a lot of different stuff so I have to limit myself a little bit so my head doesn't explode...

Latest posts

Top Bottom