Elf on the shelf

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a systems practitioner, and I didn't say it was "the one" cause of one or more problems. Of course the problems are systemic, but part of that system in many cases is the way Elf on the shelf is handled (even if it isn't Elf on the Shelf). That doesn't mean it's the case for everyone. What's disingenuous is saying "academia" is telling people christianity is bad; that hate-based ******** isn't tolerated in most branches of academia (but the mainstream media seems to be doing a good job at persuading you otherwise).

In my experiences, it's pretty common, although not pervasive. And I believe it is becoming MORE common. Obviously you have more experience in that realm, but hey, that's not the point (academia in general). The point is, it's differing degrees of the same attitude, IMO. I've got a pretty good amount of experience with kids with psych issues and family problems, as well. I think a lot of the psycho-babble ******** my own industry peddles is simply coddling for bad behavior, as well.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, the concept of a god watching over you from above is processed mentally much different from the concept of a small man in your house watching your every move. Those two things have different meanings and interpretations, especially to a child.

There's a generalization for you... and yet, this simple little game is used by tens of thousands of households all over the country. In fact, all of of the parents of my son's friends have used it, as well as tons of family members, and I've yet to hear of a problem from it. Not a single kid have I ever heard complained that it was creepy or that it caused them to be anxious or have problems distinguishing between real and fantasy.

Overblown.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my experiences, it's pretty common, although not pervasive. And I believe it is becoming MORE common. Obviously you have more experience in that realm, but hey, that's not the point (academia in general). The point is, it's differing degrees of the same attitude, IMO. I've got a pretty good amount of experience with kids with psych issues and family problems, as well. I think a lot of the psycho-babble ******** my own industry peddles is simply coddling for bad behavior, as well.
We have set up the psychological (mental) and physical (medical) perspectives as competing perspectives on health and healing, and have therefore hurt both in the process. Neither group learns from the other, and neither one works together for a more systematic approach to health. Bringing these approaches together would solve many of those issues, and greatly improve health too!

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's a generalization for you... and yet, this simple little game is used by tens of thousands of households all over the country. In fact, all of of the parents of my son's friends have used it, as well as tons of family members, and I've yet to hear of a problem from it. Not a single kid have I ever heard complained that it was creepy or that it caused them to be anxious or have problems distinguishing between real and fantasy.

Overblown.
Nobody I personally know (friends, family, etc.) has expressed issues either. However, professionally, it's an issue that is more common than you might imagine.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Absolutely agreed. And you can throw in naturopathy, osteopathy, chiropractics and some other modalities in there like acupuncture and some other stuff - but not coining or whatever those silly athletes in the Olympics were doing. lol

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nobody I personally know (friends, family, etc.) has expressed issues either. However, professionally, it's an issue that is more common than you might imagine.

I'm sure there's an ICD-10 code for it. Just like spaceship accidents, exposure to orcas and differentiating between inline rollerskate injuries and non-inline rollerskate injuries.

kennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's a damn doll, enjoy!

Attachments

• elf7.jpg
    elf7.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 125
  • Naughty-Elf-Shelf-Pictures.jpg
    Naughty-Elf-Shelf-Pictures.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 139

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Elf on the shelf definitely is a lie, and a lie with no apparent sufficient reason (i.e., lying can be morally good, with sufficient reason). It also teaches children to "shut down" their critical thinking skills (i.e., don't question, don't doubt, just believe because I said so). That being said, one of the biggest problems with elf on the shelf is using it as a basis for rewarding/punishing behavior. Things fall apart quickly when a parent's reward/punishment system is based on a lie (i.e., the Elf will watch you and report back to Santa). Additionally, teaching a child that it's ok to let someone watch you without consent is another issue, and something children expect their parents to protect them from (not promote, like they do with the Elf). I could go on with more, but with all the consequences together, it isn't worth it in the short- or long-term.

What a bunch of psycho babel.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I worked out the fallacies of Santa/elf/fairies/whatever pretty early on in life. I never had the heartbreaking "revelation" like they show on TV shows or whatever. I suspect it's probably very similar for most kids. My dad is a pathological liar of the highest degree.. It actually forced me to search for truth more than just "accept". I suppose I could have gone the other way with, but it didn't happen *shrug*

Latest posts

Top Bottom