"End" of the world, a theory

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So my FIL is freaking out about this election. Worried that people are going to riot and we'll be going into a civil war or something. It got me to thinking and I came up with a theory: folks have been raised waiting for the end of the world and they're getting impatient. WWII we dropped some nukes and started an arms race. Korea and Vietnam we fought the spread of Communism. USSR grew and we handled the Cuban Missile Crisis. Berlin wall fell, USSR dissolved, starting to reform under Putin. China has risen to a global power in commerce and military might. Left Behind was written and Y2K happened. Then 2012 and other "end of the world" times passed.

Folks grew up waiting for someone to push the button and it hasn't happened. So we had a few riots in various cities around the US. Now we have a "civil war" coming according to who you listen to. Is this all just the paranoia created by being raised waiting to fight or die? I'm only 33 but my dad served in Vietnam and hated the "Ruskies" but I was raised in Oklahoma with no worries besides sneaking a cigarette or a beer. Did the Boomer generation grow up waiting for the end or is it just the unusual political atmosphere we've arrived at?

Tell me oh wise elders, when is the world going to "end"?

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As has been discussed before, a big part of this unstable situation is due to "information bubbles" or silos or echo-chambers whatever you you prefer to call it. We are only getting information that is inline with what we believe and so people are diverging in their beliefs.

What we do after November 3 is important. Someone is going to be triggered to do something stupid. I'd say avoid any hint of confrontation...keep your celebration low key.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So my FIL is freaking out about this election. Worried that people are going to riot and we'll be going into a civil war or something. It got me to thinking and I came up with a theory: folks have been raised waiting for the end of the world and they're getting impatient. WWII we dropped some nukes and started an arms race. Korea and Vietnam we fought the spread of Communism. USSR grew and we handled the Cuban Missile Crisis. Berlin wall fell, USSR dissolved, starting to reform under Putin. China has risen to a global power in commerce and military might. Left Behind was written and Y2K happened. Then 2012 and other "end of the world" times passed.

Folks grew up waiting for someone to push the button and it hasn't happened. So we had a few riots in various cities around the US. Now we have a "civil war" coming according to who you listen to. Is this all just the paranoia created by being raised waiting to fight or die? I'm only 33 but my dad served in Vietnam and hated the "Ruskies" but I was raised in Oklahoma with no worries besides sneaking a cigarette or a beer. Did the Boomer generation grow up waiting for the end or is it just the unusual political atmosphere we've arrived at?

Tell me oh wise elders, when is the world going to "end"?
The end of the world and the end of the world as we know are not the same thing.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe that all this talk of civil war is completely over the top,,,
I am fully expecting to see some full blown rioting happen,,,
I think big cities will see their "welfare" people go crazy.

There are a lot of stupid ignoramouses on both sides,,,
They probably will have some severely bad clashes.

But c'mon people,,,
A full blown civil war?,,,
Two sides facing off in full earnest?

Ain't gonna happen.

Aarond

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As has been discussed before, a big part of this unstable situation is due to "information bubbles" or silos or echo-chambers whatever you you prefer to call it. We are only getting information that is inline with what we believe and so people are diverging in their beliefs.

What we do after November 3 is important. Someone is going to be triggered to do something stupid. I'd say avoid any hint of confrontation...keep your celebration low key.
Like truck caravans honking and flying flags?

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Everything happening right now feels so much more significant and relevant because it's happening to us (or happening while we are alive). When you put this year's events into the context of American history, it ain't sh@@. The riots and political violence in the 60/70's was pretty wild, for example.

This too shall pass.

Latest posts

Top Bottom