Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm’s Electric Car Road Trip Perfectly Illustrates Their Usefulness/Viability!! 😃😆😂🤣

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW, I purchased a Tesla Model Y in February with no tax breaks. Given the sparse number of Tesla Superchargers relative to gasoline pumps in many places some folks may be stuck using an EV around home, with an ICE vehicle for road trips. Depending on electricity rates, one could have much lower fuel costs. We've driven ours about 14K miles and the math suggests we've saved about $1900 vs purchasing gasoline.

The only way I'd use an EV for a road trip would be if I could always use the Tesla charging network. We took our car from the Phoenix area to San Antonio and back in the Spring and to Kansas/Oklahoma and back in the Summer. Actually, for the KS/OK trip, I was driving a V8-powered SUV pulling a 20 foot trailer with a Kawasaki Mule, brush mower, totes for luggage/supplies, and a YETI 210 in case I found hog-heaven. And the rest of the family was in the Tesla most of the time. For those trips we never had to wait on a charger and never had to charge for more than about 25 minutes. The Tesla did need to go to OKC and then north into KS because there's no/not enough Superchargers in SW Kansas to take the hypotenuse from Tucumcari NM heading north-east across KS toward the Kansas City area. I chose to take the V8 SUV through the boonies of KS and happened to beat the Tesla to the family rendezvous spot (Emporia, KS) by about 45 minutes - not a big difference over 500ish miles.

I'm definitely with the vast majority here about not wanting the government to shove EVs down our throats. I say we pump all the oil and gas we can domestically, mine all the lithium and other metals we can domestically, recycle batteries, etc.

I've never seen a Tesla Supercharger supported by diesel generators on site. I could not find that as a "plan" anywhere on line. I can see that as a possibility in some remote site as a temporary measure until the grid expands. Personaly, I hope the grid is some day powered by nuclear fusion and/or really efficient solar.

It would not go good for anyone blocking me out of a charging spot. It sucks that they pulled that trick for the energy secretary.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW, I purchased a Tesla Model Y in February with no tax breaks. Given the sparse number of Tesla Superchargers relative to gasoline pumps in many places some folks may be stuck using an EV around home, with an ICE vehicle for road trips. Depending on electricity rates, one could have much lower fuel costs. We've driven ours about 14K miles and the math suggests we've saved about $1900 vs purchasing gasoline.

The only way I'd use an EV for a road trip would be if I could always use the Tesla charging network. We took our car from the Phoenix area to San Antonio and back in the Spring and to Kansas/Oklahoma and back in the Summer. Actually, for the KS/OK trip, I was driving a V8-powered SUV pulling a 20 foot trailer with a Kawasaki Mule, brush mower, totes for luggage/supplies, and a YETI 210 in case I found hog-heaven. And the rest of the family was in the Tesla most of the time. For those trips we never had to wait on a charger and never had to charge for more than about 25 minutes. The Tesla did need to go to OKC and then north into KS because there's no/not enough Superchargers in SW Kansas to take the hypotenuse from Tucumcari NM heading north-east across KS toward the Kansas City area. I chose to take the V8 SUV through the boonies of KS and happened to beat the Tesla to the family rendezvous spot (Emporia, KS) by about 45 minutes - not a big difference over 500ish miles.

I'm definitely with the vast majority here about not wanting the government to shove EVs down our throats. I say we pump all the oil and gas we can domestically, mine all the lithium and other metals we can domestically, recycle batteries, etc.

I've never seen a Tesla Supercharger supported by diesel generators on site. I could not find that as a "plan" anywhere on line. I can see that as a possibility in some remote site as a temporary measure until the grid expands. Personaly, I hope the grid is some day powered by nuclear fusion and/or really efficient solar.

It would not go good for anyone blocking me out of a charging spot. It sucks that they pulled that trick for the energy secretary.
o yea it was a story on yahoo or the other i get at work.. that being said the small charge stations do not need a alt power supply! local grid can handle it. I Myself am all for SUPPLEMENTAL elect and solar .. although it will never replace fossil fuel... now if we could perfect very small car size Hydrogen or Nuclear reactor/generator that would be the Bomb!! (see what i did?) also i would consider a elect for work and shopping if the working man could afford it!. JMO.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So what are you comparing it to?
A gas engine that gets 30 mpg doesn’t cost $1900 in gas.

14,000 / 30 = 466 gallons
@ $3.50 a gallon that equals $1,633

* Those small stations your charging on are subsidized by Telsa and run off the grid.

* Are you paying the “Road use tax”? It’s coming just like gas engines use.

* What’s it’s resale value after 5 years vs a gasoline engine? You might be surprised.

There is a reason gas is high and gas cars are 40 to 50 grand now, EVs must compete at all cost IMO.

Just saying, you could be right if you drive very little or around town, just saying

Latest posts

Top Bottom