Engine break in theories

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually many theories on engine break in, but one makes the most sense, do the first oil change early.

No experience with brand new motorcycle, 4 wheeler or snowmobile break ins, I've always bought used.

As for cars, there are a variety of ways to break them in, including special break in oils for freshly rebuilt or crate motors.

With cars my family has a variety of ways to break in engines. My uncle feels the drive it like you stole it is best. However he usually sells them before the first tire change. My dad, an engineer with a big auto company for decades, felt a variety af engine speeds were best, no cruise control in the first 2,000 to 5,000 miles. He had cars from the 80's and 90's with mileage in excess of 100k miles with no major issues except for normal maintenance, some of which were known for reliability issues with engines and transmissions. One of his favorite cars that he kept the longest was a 1990 Supercharged Grand Prix 4 door, he sold it at 140,000 miles, still ran like new.

I think the latter technique with an early 1st oil change is best for any ICE motor.

fishincoop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And don’t forget to change all other fluids (transmission, axle diffs, transfer case). A old crusty midwestern grading contractor taught me years ago that any new gear in any machine will have the most wear during first running. I changed all of my new 93 F250 fluids at 1,000 miles. Was amazed at the crud that came out so soon, but that’s when majority of wear takes place. Drove that truck 15 yrs- sold it with 400+k miles, ran like a top. Kinda wish I still had it.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Personally, I'd do exactly what manufacturer says. I had a Kawa that set out max rpms for so many miles, up to like 1200 iirc. I think on these small high Rev engines, you should break them in like the people who built them say to. And it was damn painful on the bike.

Good luck, that thing should be fun.

Latest posts

Top Bottom