Stuck engine.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Retired from farming and sold everything but one International 706 diesel tractor, drill, disk and springtooth to put in food plots.
My food plots have grown smaller in size so the Mahindra can take care of everything.
Thought I'd bring the International home, clean it up and sell it.
Gathered up a crew to load it on a 20' trailer if we could get it started, if not use the other truck to pull it up a jack knifed trailer behind my truck.
Getting there, spotted the fuel cap on the ground. with the fuel tank open. Apparently, someone wanted some of the fuel and tried to siphon what they needed.
Don't have a clue how long ago that happened.
Opened the bleeder and drain valves on the fuel filter to drain the tank. Some really ugly stuff came out of there. Drained it dry, and added fresh fuel.
With no batteries, we hooked up both trucks to the battery cables and tried to start. The engine wouldn't budge. Stuck piston/pistons most likely.
Cause? Don't know. Big rain/wind blowing up the exhaust flapper letting water in the exhaust, diesel fuel gelling or what? Don't know.
Hooked up a long heavy chain to buddies truck and tried to break the engine loose by putting it in gear and dumping the clutch. No go. Rear tires just skidded on the ground.
So, now it's time to open the injectors and put some kerosene or something in the cylinders to break up the gum or rust and try to pull start it again. If that doesn't work, probably time to pull the head, and use a 4X4 block and sledge to break the piston/pistons loose. I may have a big heavy piece of scrap iron.

Anybody been down this route and had to use chemicals in the injectors? Trying to figure out what might be the best to get the job done.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know about the Internationals, but a lot of those tractor diesels are sleeved, so it might not be too bad to bring it back to life even if the pistons are rusted in place. My dad had good luck with using ATF (the good kind, Automatic Transmission Fluid, not the dog shootin' kind) to unstick pistons in car engines, but I don't recall ever having to unstick tractor pistons.

I know a bunch of old farmers swore by Marvel Mystery Oil for this, too.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know about the Internationals, but a lot of those tractor diesels are sleeved, so it might not be too bad to bring it back to life even if the pistons are rusted in place. My dad had good luck with using ATF (the good kind, Automatic Transmission Fluid, not the dog shootin' kind) to unstick pistons in car engines, but I don't recall ever having to unstick tractor pistons.

I know a bunch of old farmers swore by Marvel Mystery Oil for this, too.
I have both in stock.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dittos on the Marvel Mystery oil. Take out the injectors and pour oil on top of pistons. Let it sit a week then try to turn it over carefully with a wrench and cheater. If that doesn't work try to drag start in a HIGH gear without the injectors installed. The high gearing is easier on the engine than the low gearing. Use the low gear for a sudden jolt, then the high gearing for the long pulls.

I have gotten a few to go like this. If this doesn't work, let it sit another week then try it. It will eventually free up the pistons.

Good luck

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Beware.....

If the engine has just one cylinder full of water, it can get ugly trying to drag it while dumping the clutch! Check carefully!

Maybe drain the oil pan and see if there is water in there too! ??? Pull the injectors! ???

I bought a Farmall BN that was stuck, but the rocking on the trailer (in gear, not tied down yet) while we moved back and forth on location strategically loading other stuff they gave me so it was a one trip got it unstuck. Rolled it off the trailer, cranked it with the hand crank and was riding down my driveway

Bought a Farmall Cub that was stuck, filled each spark plug hole with diesel and forgot about it for about 5 years.
Still had to pull the head (all the diesel was in the oil pan by then) and beat on the pistons some on that one, but once free it was good.

Bought a stuck Farmall C. #1 cylinder was full of water, oil pan had lots of water in it.
#1 sleeve is cracked, rod is bent.

Shame because I dont think it has many hours on a overhaul. Someone put a big bore kit in it with nice dome pistons.

It been on the back burner for a few years now, but I am hoping to get it going again!

Lots of luck with that 706, hope it is simple!

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
look at the rocker arms and get an idea of what cylinder is up on compression. take out injector and make an adapter to connect a hydraulic hose from another tractor. slowly and carefully put pressure on it until it moves.

264killer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
look at the rocker arms and get an idea of what cylinder is up on compression. take out injector and make an adapter to connect a hydraulic hose from another tractor. slowly and carefully put pressure on it until it moves.
IF it is TDC you could bend a connecting rod.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IF it is TDC you could bend a connecting rod.
yep. it would be wise to look at the timing indicator on they flywheel. all you need is for the valves to be closed and have some room for downward travel. it is possible also to just take the rocker arms and back them off on a cylinder and proceed. use a welding rod to determin where the piston stroke is. don't go wild and just throw the hydraulic lever. creep it and observe. it it moves just a tad it is good to stop at this point and proceed with a bar.

Latest posts

Top Bottom