Enid: AC fires buckshot at dog---another AC off., police off. and bite victim all hit by ricochet

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't cops still carry batons?? Seems like a good pop from a metal rod would be effective, and a lot safer for anyone else around. I've seen the effects of pepper spray on a dog, too. That put a stop to any forward motion IMMEDIATELY. And the only damage any of the people standing there (2 of us and the cop with the pepper spray) was a little coughing, spitting and teared up eyes from overspray. Dog was gone like a shot! LOL

The thing is I can think of a lot of ways to stop a dog without resorting to firing off a firearm of any kind. But, again, I realize if you've never been charged by a dog before it can be a bit disconcerting, to say the least. Obviously, he thought it was the best option at the time. And who knows, it might have been.
The problem is that cops are well trained to draw their weapons fast . . . their pepper spray, not so much.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The problem is that cops are well trained to draw their weapons fast . . . their pepper spray, not so much.

I dunno about that. I know the cop that deal with the dog we had challenging people around here never touched his gun. He did, however, yank that baton AND pepper spray out with lightening speed. I knew he had the baton but not the pepper spray. I guess he was prepared to smack that damned mutt -- which probably weighed 80 pounds -- if the pepper spray hadn't stopped him.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Frankly, postmen and meter readers do a better job of dealing with dogs than cops.
I think they are "armed" with spray, but I read they are taught to read a dog's actions and use body language that the dog can recognize as not being aggressive as a first line of defense.
Here in the country, the new UPS, USPS, and in the past, meter readers all stayed in their vehicles if our dogs were out in the yard, and handed them doggie treats out the window.
Our dogs only approach a vehicle so they can get a scratch on the head and sniff your pants leg. If anybody acts aggressive toward them, they will turn tail and run like hell.

Latest posts

Top Bottom