Entry Level 1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bought a Springfield armory milspec to get it to something useful and comfortable cost me more than just buying a better one to start. Maybe RIA is better than they used to be, if not, be prepared to learn about tuning/fxing 1911s or paying someone to do it.

Across all brands, I’m 50% on the extractor being tuned correctly from the factory.

Lonestar_Okie

Marksman
Reaction score
Considering purchasing a budget Commander Size 1911 to simply have a 1911 in the collection and to see if I like 1911s enough to invest in a higher end version.

what are the 1911 aficionados opinion of the Tisas imported by SDS? I was thinking specifically of these two odels.

SDS Imports 1911 Carry Pistol-45 ACP For Sale - AtlanticFirearms.com

or

Tisas B45R Semi-Automatic 1911 Pistol 4.25" Barrel .45ACP 8rd - Black Cerakote W/ Accessory Rail

I am also considering a not so budget friendly SA EMP Lighweight Champion. know not a true 1911 as it has been scaled down, but I like the look of them and the current generation seems to get good reviews.

Springfield Armory PI9211L 1911 EMP Champion 9mm Luger 4' 10+1 Black Hardcoat Anodized Stainless Steel Slide Crossed Cannon Cocobolo Grip

Or just keep looking for a SA Range Officer Champion in 9mm or .45. So many choices…

Your input is appreciated.

Dave
I picked up a Ruger 1911 and am pretty happy with it.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man for your first one don’t go super cheap if anything it’s just gonna turn you off to the 1911 platform I’d suggest saving up a tad more and getting a Springfield armory TRP or a Dan Wesson in that price range and you will be way better off
Baer makes nice 1911s

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ruger or S&W would probably get my vote as the least expensive 1911 that has a bit of quality put into them. They're still assembly line guns, put together by people making a bit more than minimum wage and using a lot if MIM parts. However they are at least made in the USA, and both companies have a good reputation for CS if something isn't working right.

Not crapping on RIA or Tisas, but they're budget-friendly guns assembled overseas with overseas parts. You could get a fantastic shooter or not. Spending a few hundred more narrows the gap a little between the best and worst guns that roll off the line each day. I'm not necessarily saying that they might not function (they usually do)...more that you'll experience a wide range of tolerances in parts. It is hard to love a gun with sharp edges and ledges/gaps between parts. Either that or you'll love your inexpensive 1911 until you shoot one of better quality...then you'll end up disliking your 1911.

Another option if you're okay with overseas made guns is BUL armory or Magnum Research. BUL makes the 1911s for Magnum Research (last time I checked), and they've earned a decent reputation so far for pistols that typically function as they should for under a grand. My dad has a Desert Eagle 1911 (BUL), and while he's probably only put 6-700 rounds through it, I don't think he's ever had a stoppage. He really likes that 1911.

Colt makes a decent, basic 1911 for around the $1K mark (sans options). For the extra couple hundred dollars you aren't getting a better pistol than Ruger or S&W though...but the resale will always be higher. If you hang onto it for 10 years and keep it in great condition, there's a good chance that you'll actually be able to sell it for more than you paid for it. I don't understand the Colt collection mania...but I've invested in it and its paid off pretty well so far.

Some guys love basic Kimbers. I had one that shot very accurately, but I hated their jam-o-matic magazines, snag free rear sight design, and plastic MSH (Colt does this too now). I sold mine, but I will attest to the accuracy potential of them.

Once you creep into the $1,500 range Dan Wesson beats all until you get near $2,500.

Latest posts

Top Bottom