Evacuate now!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to be just like you.

Then I totaled my truck in the ice stork of Feb 2022. Cost me half a year's wages, and damn near cost me my life.

You know who DIDN'T help me pay for that? My employer. I'm one of those guys that rarely, rarely misses work. Next time it's ice and snow, I wouldn't bet on it.
I was like that. ALWAYS that guy who drove my 4x2 to work 26 miles one way in ALL weather. Because the show must go on and setting a good example and all. While guys with 4x4's called to say they cant get out of their sloped outward driveways. Then that company laid me off. Never again will I be that stupid and gullible.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to hate the weather people discouraging all travel when I was trying to get employees to come to work. We will probably see Anderson Cooper standing in a ditch full of water again soon. The news always has and will continue to sensationalize as long as people watch them.

We do love to see a good wreck.

Them raising insurance is a rip off. I lived on the coast for 25 years. Went through 4 hurricanes. Evaded 2 and rode out 2. Lost a bunch of shingles, once. Only hurricane claim filed.

Have been in the cellar 3 times. Once in the past 20 years. Never an insurance claim for tornado damages.

A Houston station had hired a new meteorologist. We nicknamed him "the weather wimp". He would get so excited at any weather event. Talked daily about his wanting a hurricane. He would be orgasmic, talking about hurricanes. Finally, late in the season, a hurricane entered the Gulf. He was like a 6 yo the week before Christmas. A couple days of strengthening, with little movement and the storms suddenly changes direction, moving directly toward Houston. He is standing in surf at Galveston, warning of huge waves, storm surge and time to evac is NOW.
2 days of the same, showing traffic backed up, warning of gloom and doom.
Hurricane was a category 2, hit Galveston head on early Saturday morning. Winds were about 100 mph. I was working Galveston Mall security. Fairly uneventful day. Wimp reporting from hotel lobby on the sea wall, Armageddon had arrived.

Monday evening news came on. Weather Wimp was not there. Never heard from, again. It was reported, he went back to Minnesota.

A hurricane is BIG, compared to tornado. A hurricane gives you a weeks+ notice it MAY affect your are. A tornado MIGHT give 2 minutes. I will take a hurricane any day over a tornado. I don't worry much about either one. Fire and serious earthquakes are much harder to run or evac.

KroyWen

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just do what the authorities say & don’t ask any questions. Trust us, we have your best interests. Remember Katrina. Remember Maui .

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just do what the authorities say & don’t ask any questions. Trust us, we have your best interests. Remember Katrina. Remember Maui .
5tkk4r.jpg

bubbaturbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to work at a federal facility that had a reputation of never closing for weather. Not even an operational facility either - mostly logistics and training. Then a few people got killed in car wrecks trying to get to work after an ice storm. Finally all of the loudmouth blowhard's chest thumping stopped and some sanity prevailed. Sometimes takes somebody getting killed to shut some people up.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We do love to see a good wreck.

Them raising insurance is a rip off. I lived on the coast for 25 years. Went through 4 hurricanes. Evaded 2 and rode out 2. Lost a bunch of shingles, once. Only hurricane claim filed.

Have been in the cellar 3 times. Once in the past 20 years. Never an insurance claim for tornado damages.

A Houston station had hired a new meteorologist. We nicknamed him "the weather wimp". He would get so excited at any weather event. Talked daily about his wanting a hurricane. He would be orgasmic, talking about hurricanes. Finally, late in the season, a hurricane entered the Gulf. He was like a 6 yo the week before Christmas. A couple days of strengthening, with little movement and the storms suddenly changes direction, moving directly toward Houston. He is standing in surf at Galveston, warning of huge waves, storm surge and time to evac is NOW.
2 days of the same, showing traffic backed up, warning of gloom and doom.
Hurricane was a category 2, hit Galveston head on early Saturday morning. Winds were about 100 mph. I was working Galveston Mall security. Fairly uneventful day. Wimp reporting from hotel lobby on the sea wall, Armageddon had arrived.

Monday evening news came on. Weather Wimp was not there. Never heard from, again. It was reported, he went back to Minnesota.

A hurricane is BIG, compared to tornado. A hurricane gives you a weeks+ notice it MAY affect your are. A tornado MIGHT give 2 minutes. I will take a hurricane any day over a tornado. I don't worry much about either one. Fire and serious earthquakes are much harder to run or evac.
Now he is at News 9 OKC. David Payne

428cobra

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
On the local news tonight, they were saying our homeowner's insurance may go up over this storm. This is really a rip-off. We pay some of the highest insurance rates now because we are in tornado alley yet people in Fla. pay less, and they are constantly hit with hurricanes that damage much larger areas. Does other state's rates go up when we have a tornado? I don't think so. I think the problem here is the men south of Guthrie.
I really like that last sentence.

Latest posts

Top Bottom