Ever wonder what a 7mm Remington Ultra Mag will do to a deer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe that pic is BS. You can clealy see that the carcas has laid out for a while. All the blood is dark colored. I have a 7mm and trust me it does not rip deer in two.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Davis, like I said about caliber choices, we're all free to our own opinion. In this case the photo is real. I know the feller and he ain't got no reason to lie about it.

30, you're probably right, it does look a bit shy of full grown!

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I also have to say that it looks like coyote eaten road kill - that kind of damage would cover EVERYTHING in blood (unless someone took time to wash deer's white belly).

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I worked with a guy that bought a regular 7mm Rem mag when he was hunting out west. He moved to Arkansas and didn't have the money for another rifle. He shot a doe broadside at about 40 yards and to hear him describe it, it was exactly like that. He said the offside front shoulder was just gone. Evaporated into red mist. He was pissed that he lost that much meat. You can cut down on the destruction by picking a different bullet. The jacketed spitzer boattails are designed for long range. If hunting in the thick stuff where shots are liable to be short go to the heavy weight dangerous game loads or possibly a Partition.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can tell you for a fact, that is just what a small deer looks like when shot with a 7 mag. Where I hunt my friends place was a check station, and this was a common site. The hunters have to shoot a doe before they shoot a buck on the SP Reserve, so the first anterless deer that walks by gets shot. No matter how small they are, so the hunter can go after his buck. One deer we checked, the hunter was so kind as to donate it to Hunters against Hunger. We got 7lbs of meat, that is how small it was not to mention he shot it with a 7 mag.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not buying it either... Unless that's a 30lb fawn?
I've seen deer shot with some ultra mags and never that much devastation. I shot my buck this year with a 300mag and didn't even have an exit wound.
But, crazy things do happen some times.

Latest posts

Top Bottom