extreme range shooting with .22 lr

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was talking with a computer geek (a really good one) today, and he told me that when he was in the army he entered a 250 yard match with a .22, and placed in the top third. He said he had to prop up the rear of his scope.

A quote from someplace: "The older I get, the better I was." This guy didn't sound that way. He is obviously not very interested in guns now.

It got me to wondering if anyone is messing around with extreme range .22 shooting. I have plinked over big water and been surprised how well one can do WOD ('way out dere). On 100 yard ranges, I have found that there is lots of drop, and not pursued much past 50 yards. I have a skinny barreled 77/22 that is very accurate at 50 yards.

So, anybody doing it? Looks like you'd have to be really good at doping the wind.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The problem becomes when it crosses back over to subsonic. Or alternatively, if you start subsonic then the drop becomes ridiculous.

Des547

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
A thread after my own heart. You would not believe how accurate the lowly .22lr round can be at ranges of 200, 300, 400 and beyond. Do a Google search for long range shooting with .22lr. Super interesting. Also, visit this forum and if this link doesn't take you direct to the CZ/Brno section scroll down to it. Great web site for extreme .22 shooting http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18

I have a CZ 452 Varmint with a 6 to 24 BSA scope. On a still day from a bench rest and a fouled barrel I can one shot beer cans and clay pidgeons at 200 yards. I have another CZ 452 full stock that will do one minute of angle at 100 yards from a rest with iron sights. I'm not selling CZ rimfires as there are other 22lr rifles that will do this. And most of those ole gunshop and pawn shop 22 target rifles from the late 40's to 60's in good shape will do it too and don't cost an arm and a leg. You just have to hunt for them. Bolt action Mossbergs, Savages, Springfields, and Remingtons from those years are great old shooters.

The 22lr has more potential as a fun gun than most folks realize and long range shooting is a prime example.

Des

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Love shooting the .22lr, and .22mag at long range. Most of the time its just impromptu plinking, so I can offer no expert advice. Just get out there and do it is all I can offer.

Also, don't shoot over water. Richochets are deadly.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Love shooting the .22lr, and .22mag at long range. Most of the time its just impromptu plinking, so I can offer no expert advice. Just get out there and do it is all I can offer.

This pretty much covers my wealth on knowledge also. It's fun, but never really tried to perfect it. Be interesting seeing what shows up in this thread.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
found this on long range hunting .com
22lr @ 500yds

Holy smokes, that is the most impressive thing I've ever seen with rimfire. I'm not surprised he was using a CZ but he was doing it with the Scout model. That's the youth gun with the short barrel and length of pull. Very impressive!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Top Bottom