F/A-18 Carrier Duty With View From The Cockpit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We had three pilots in training shoot at our last match in Ponca from Enid.
I shamelessly begged like a school girl to get a ride in one of the trainers. All I got was a smile.

Yeah, that's not easy to pull off, Dennis ... even if they wanted to. I got a ride in a T-38 years ago. Not because I had been working on them since Hector was a pup, but because I was working with broadcast media at the time.

DeeJay

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A Navy buddy gave me a ride in a T-28 before I got out. Not the same speed and power rush but he did explain a bunch of maneuvers and then proceeded to execute them - rolls, loops, etc. Puked three times but would do it again in a heartbeat.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My dad got a ride in a F-104 when he was at Vandenburg. He said the pilot climbed out over the water at a good altitude and speed and offered to let him take the stick. He took him up on it...briefly. Told him what to do and then when he was ready he said "the bird is yours". No sooner than he had un keyed his mic he re-keyed it and said "if you don't mind could to roll us back to level?" It took him a minute but he got it mostly there. He said it was one hard bird to fly and he didn't know how they did it.

This was in the very early '60s when things were a little different.

Latest posts

Top Bottom