F150 engine problems. Pleae help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bailey331

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was taking my wife out last night for our anniversary when we heard a loud POP/HISSING noise on the right side of the engine. I stopped to take a look but couldn't figure out what the problem was. We limped the truck the 10 miles back home. There was a major miss in the engine idle and the hissing continued the whole way home. I also noticed a loss in power as I climbed the hills near our home. All the gauges looked good and there is no fluids pouring out on the ground. Dad told me I might have blown a spark plug. Went to inspect the plugs and low and behold, I cant find them. This motor looks nothing like the ones I grew up with. If this is an easy fix, I would rather do it myself and try to save the money. If its something major or life threatening I guess Ill haul it to the shop. Any advise would be great. Its a 2005 Ford F150 SXL 2X4 with a 4.6 liter V8. Thanks

zseese

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds more like a vacuum line to me, if you blew a spark plug you would know by a LOUD knocking, not just hissing...unless I misunderstood your post and by miss you mean what I mean by knock, then spark plug is very likely. Big problem with this between 04-08

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive got the 5.4 same year so I dont know location of the plugs, however, be very careful taking them out when you find them. There has been an issue with the 04/05s where the plug comes apart (meaning part of the plug gets stuck and cant be removed with drilling and pulling)

landman873

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't think the 4.6 had issues with the plugs but i guess you might have the issue. The Ford fix is Timeserts is what you use here is a link to there page and the 4.6 is the first one on the list. You can ask around on ford forums and this is what they all use. I use them for other things and they are very good.
http://www.timesert.com/html/sparkplugford.html

landman873

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds more like a vacuum line to me, if you blew a spark plug you would know by a LOUD knocking, not just hissing...unless I misunderstood your post and by miss you mean what I mean by knock, then spark plug is very likely. Big problem with this between 04-08

Unless it didn't blow completely out of there. Had that same motor on a work truck lose part of a valve at about 150k. Random it took so long.

ber

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check your air hose. I had a car that did that and there was a small cut in the hose. Hope that helps.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't think the 4.6 had issues with the plugs but i guess you might have the issue. The Ford fix is Timeserts is what you use here is a link to there page and the 4.6 is the first one on the list. You can ask around on ford forums and this is what they all use. I use them for other things and they are very good.
http://www.timesert.com/html/sparkplugford.html

I use the HeliCoil kit to fix the ones we have at work but Timeserts are just as good. The kits are like $300 bucks though. I dont know what ford charges to do the fix but it may be cheaper than buying the kit. Or if you can find a shop locally that has the stuff to fix it. If you were in Edmond I could help you out

landman873

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use the HeliCoil kit to fix the ones we have at work but Timeserts are just as good. The kits are like $300 bucks though. I dont know what ford charges to do the fix but it may be cheaper than buying the kit. Or if you can find a shop locally that has the stuff to fix it. If you were in Edmond I could help you out

I called and was able to order a kit with just 3 serts and it was around $100ish You can order them through your local fastenal

Latest posts

Top Bottom