F150 engine problems. Pleae help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
pop the hood, locate the 8 coil packs(they are all black), once you have located each one. Start your truck walk around to each side pressing down on each coil pack one at a time. if your popping/hissing changes tone or stops when you are pressing down on one coil pack, you found your problem.

I had an 04 blow a plug out at work. The fix at the service center wasn't to expensive. i figured it was a pull the head move and rethread the hole. Helicoil repair has held for over a year now.

I'm praying my 5.4 doesn't blow any coils out. Always a risk.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the best fix is a FullTorq insert. Timeserts are good, but they aren't aluminum so there could be an issue with heat transfer out of the plug, but that's probably only an issue in boosted applications.

landman873

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 4.6 didn't have the plug problems like the 5.4. Look elsewhere.

Sounds like a vacuum line to me.

Pretty sure they don't make a kit for them if they didn't have an issue. Its ok to admit ford had an issue with heads for a lot longer than they should have. Its also very important to put lots of anti seize on the new plugs you put in. They have a bad issue of getting stuck.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 4.6 didn't have the plug problems like the 5.4. Look elsewhere.

Sounds like a vacuum line to me.

Here is the ford TSB

TSB 07-21-2

10/29/07

4.6L , 5.4L, OR 6.8L - SPARK PLUG
THREAD REPAIR PROCEDURE - NOT COVERED
UNDER NEW VEHICLE LIMITED WARRANTY

FORD:
1997 Thunderbird
1997-2004 Mustang
1997-2008 Crown Victoria
1997-1999 F-250 Light Duty
1997-2004 Expedition
1997-2008 E-Series, F-150
1998-2004 F-53 Motorhome Chassis,
F-Super Duty
2001-2005 Excursion
2002-2006 Explorer

LINCOLN:
1997-2007 Town Car
1998-1999 Navigator

MERCURY:
1997 Cougar
1997-2008 Grand Marquis
2002-2006 Mountaineer

This article supersedes TSB 07-15-2 to update the vehicle model years.

ISSUE
Some 1997-2008 vehicles equipped with a 4.6L 2V, 5.4L 2V, or 6.8L 2V engine and aluminum cylinder heads may experience a spark plug port with stripped or missing threads.

ACTION
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition for non warrantable repairs.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Ford Motor Company now authorizes LOCK-N-STITCH aluminum insert and tool kit as a proper repair procedure.

Follow the procedure included in the tool kit for using the tools and inserts. Tool kits and inserts can be ordered from Rotunda by calling 1-800-Rotunda (768-8632). Choose option two (2), part number 302-00001.

NOTE FORD MOTOR COMPANY HAS DETERMINED THAT REPAIRS MADE WITH THESE ALUMINUM INSERTS AND LOCK-N-STITCH TOOLS DO NOT AFFECT THE HEAT TRANSFER FUNCTION BETWEEN THE SPARK PLUG AND THE CYLINDER HEAD.

NOTE THIS PROCEDURE IS NOT AUTHORIZED AS A FORD WARRANTY REPAIR. FOR VEHICLES WITHIN WARRANTY, REPLACEMENT OF THE CYLINDER HEAD IS RECOMMENDED.

NOTE THIS IS THE ONLY FORD AUTHORIZED PROCEDURE FOR SPARK PLUG THREAD REPAIRS.

NOTE THIS PROCEDURE IS AUTHORIZED FOR ESP REPAIRS AND RETAIL REPAIRS.

WARRANTY STATUS: Information Only - Not Warrantable

landman873

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sure with the right amount of time and tools it can sometimes be done on the block still. I have yet to mess with one when it breaks. I normally just pull the head and take it in to be pulled.

Bailey331

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
WOW! Guys you you were a major big help. I walked around each coil and located the noise makers. Pulled it out and found a plug hanging on to it. Looks like the plug back out, is that possible. Threads dont look stripped at all. I was able to put the plug back in and tighten it. Started the truck right up and its purring. Had to come in and eat my supper and thank you all but I,m about to test drive it.

landman873

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WOW! Guys you you were a major big help. I walked around each coil and located the noise makers. Pulled it out and found a plug hanging on to it. Looks like the plug back out, is that possible. Threads dont look stripped at all. I was able to put the plug back in and tighten it. Started the truck right up and its purring. Had to come in and eat my supper and thank you all but I,m about to test drive it.

Watch it very carefully. If i was a betting man it will happen again because i bet it stripped it out. Hope this isn't the case for you though

Latest posts

Top Bottom