Failing to crimp your rifle rounds.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Came across this today and it looks like someone was using a lever action 45/70 with reloaded ammo that was not crimped. The last round fired in the rifle had the bullet pushed too far into the brass and caused the pressure to increase to the point of catastrophic failure.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...nt-forget-crimp-warning-graphic-injury-images

“Anyone ever wondered what an exploding .45-70 Marlin guide gun will do to a person’s hand. All my measurements and charges were correct. But I forgot to crimp the bullet. This caused the bullet to seat deeper and deeper with every shot which ultimately seated the bullet to a point were the pressures were dangerously high causing the pressure to build before the bullet could leave the barrel.” (spelling and punctuation his)

photo_1895G.jpg
Reload1.jpg
reload2.jpg

There are pictures of the person's hand at the link but I don't want some queasy people to lose their lunches.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those pictures and wounds aren't that bad for what happened, he should consider himself lucky.

Thanks for posting this NightShade. Good reminder for everyone who reloads. Pay attention and keep it safe.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Points out how important it is to thoroughly understand what you are loading as well as for which firearm the ammo is being loaded. Those rounds might have been okay in a singleshot rifle.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Time to remind about how sensitive AA#5 is to seating depth. It is one of the most sensitive of the pistol powders to having the bullet seated lower than specs call for. If you cycle the same ammo in your carry weapon, watch for the bullet being forced deeper into the case even with factory ammo as you cycle rounds in and out of your weapon.

Latest posts

Top Bottom