Fallin vetoes another gun bill?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From the Legislature's Web site:
The Oklahoma Legislature convened for the 55th Legislature on Monday, February 2, 2015 and will adjourn Sine Die no later than Friday, May 29, 2015, by 5:00 p.m.
The Senate is scheduled to go back into session tomorrow, so they're not done yet.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I heard from a buddy of mine that his senator, Don Barrington (district 31), replied to him stating that he would NOT be supporting a veto override....even if it did make it to the floor.

I'm guessing if the chair of the public safety committee doesn't support it, it isn't going to happen.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I heard from a buddy of mine that his senator, Don Barrington (district 31), replied to him stating that he would NOT be supporting a veto override....even if it did make it to the floor.

I'm guessing if the chair of the public safety committee doesn't support it, it isn't going to happen.

A committee with unconstitutional power killing a bill. ALL vetoed bills are supposed to go directly to the floor of the house from which it originated, voted up or down, and if override is voted for, it goes to the floor of the other house for an up or down vote. That's in the Oklahoma Constitution, Article VI, Section VI-11.

Remind your representative and senator of their constitutional duty. The Oklahoma Constitution is the law our legislators are bound by.

Woody

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A committee with unconstitutional power killing a bill. ALL vetoed bills are supposed to go directly to the floor of the house from which it originated, voted up or down, and if override is voted for, it goes to the floor of the other house for an up or down vote. That's in the Oklahoma Constitution, Article VI, Section VI-11.

Remind your representative and senator of their constitutional duty. The Oklahoma Constitution is the law our legislators are bound by.

Woody

Shouldn't this be pointed out to Sen. Bingman's office?

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's a press release from the OKC Chamber praising Fallin's veto:

http://www.okcchamber.com/index.php?src=news&srctype=detail&category=Chamber News&refno=869

Chamber applauds Gov. Mary Fallin's veto of SB 41

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

NEWS RELEASE

OKLAHOMA CITY (May 11, 2015) – The Greater Oklahoma City Chamber applauds Gov. Mary Fallin’s wisdom and foresight in vetoing Senate Bill 41, which would have had devastating effects on the ability to recruit major events to Oklahoma.

A last-minute amendment to Oklahoma’s concealed carry statute would have placed state law in conflict with contracts to host events like the NCAA Basketball Tournament, Women’s College World Series softball, horse shows at the State Fair Park and other events in public places. These events, which bring tens of millions of dollars to the state’s economy each year, would then relocate to other cities.

We thank Gov. Fallin for realizing the chilling effect that this would have on Oklahoma’s ability to attract high-quality events that Oklahomans enjoy.

“To some, the stipulations outlined in this bill may sound good on paper, but they have many unintended consequences that will hurt Oklahoma’s visitor and events industries,” said Chamber President Roy Williams. “We are grateful that Gov. Mary Fallin was able to see the future repercussions with this bill and decided to veto it.”

Carrie Snodgrass, Media Relations Coordinator
Greater Oklahoma City Chamber
[email protected]

Latest posts

Top Bottom