Finally got the AK I wanted (Pic Heavy)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Super sweet AK! I for one agree with your 14.5" idea. As a matter of fact, I'd perm an AAC two chamber comp on it and add a M42K can for good measure. Go with the MI rail and an Aimpoint H1, then add a Surefire X300 light and call it good. :)

I thought about running a suppressor on an AAC mount, but would be worried since I would be running a lot of corrosive ammo through it.

dak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you checked out the RS Regulate mount? http://www.rsregulate.com/products.php

The Ultimak allows for co-witness with Aimpoint H-1/T-1 and the newer gen Primary Arms micro dots. I run an Ultimak setup as well and any type of rail system that replaces the gas tube will make it a pain to clean after shooting corrosive. To get in there and scrub you can use a shotgun bore brush with it still attached but to really get in there you will have to remove the mount and lose your zero. I don't think the idea of a metal lower handguard is very appealing after shooting a few mags when using the MI AK-SS... wear gloves if you go that route.

You're spot on with your statement of there being a lack of 24mm muzzle attachments. I'll be converting my SGL-21 to an AK-104 setup and I'm seriously thinking about leaving enough barrel to thread 14x1LH beyond the FSB/GB but short enough so that I can still use most 24mm attachments via the threaded FSB/GB. I'll probably leave the Ultimak on mine for an extra expensive flashlight mount to go with my off-set Vltor mount because I don't want to clamp a little railed block to the barrel.

Nice gun, btw.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you checked out the RS Regulate mount? http://www.rsregulate.com/products.php

The Ultimak allows for co-witness with Aimpoint H-1/T-1 and the newer gen Primary Arms micro dots. I run an Ultimak setup as well and any type of rail system that replaces the gas tube will make it a pain to clean after shooting corrosive. To get in there and scrub you can use a shotgun bore brush with it still attached but to really get in there you will have to remove the mount and lose your zero. I don't think the idea of a metal lower handguard is very appealing after shooting a few mags when using the MI AK-SS... wear gloves if you go that route.

You're spot on with your statement of there being a lack of 24mm muzzle attachments. I'll be converting my SGL-21 to an AK-104 setup and I'm seriously thinking about leaving enough barrel to thread 14x1LH beyond the FSB/GB but short enough so that I can still use most 24mm attachments via the threaded FSB/GB. I'll probably leave the Ultimak on mine for an extra expensive flashlight mount to go with my off-set Vltor mount because I don't want to clamp a little railed block to the barrel.

Nice gun, btw.

I really, really like the AKML mount by RS. Only problem is, I couldn't fold my stock with it on there. If I had a fixed stock, that would definitely be my first choice. Having the sidefolder, I would prefer the scout mount. I like the feel of the stock lower guard, so I will probably go the Ultimak route, with a Bolton block/sight and rethread to 1/2 x 28. Purist are going to shake their heads, but the function and handling of the weapon is going to be greatly improved with this modification. Hope your 104 turns out nice. They are good looking rifles. And thanks for the compliment.

dak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really, really like the AKML mount by RS. Only problem is, I couldn't fold my stock with it on there. If I had a fixed stock, that would definitely be my first choice. Having the sidefolder, I would prefer the scout mount. I like the feel of the stock lower guard, so I will probably go the Ultimak route, with a Bolton block/sight and rethread to 1/2 x 28. Purist are going to shake their heads, but the function and handling of the weapon is going to be greatly improved with this modification. Hope your 104 turns out nice. They are good looking rifles. And thanks for the compliment.

I'm no purist when it comes to a practical/fighting rifle. My AK-104 conversion is more about eliminating the extra real estate in front of my weapons light and not having the FSB being painted by it than a strict purist conversion.

Who are you going to have chop and thread your barrel?

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm no purist when it comes to a practical/fighting rifle. My AK-104 conversion is more about eliminating the extra real estate in front of my weapons light and not having the FSB being painted by it than a strict purist conversion.

Who are you going to have chop and thread your barrel?

Gotcha. That makes sense. It sucks when you have stuff that blocks 30%+ of the light your flashlight is emitting.

I planned on having a local shop here in Ada do it, called Gun Runners.

Latest posts

Top Bottom