Fire in Glencoe?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are more wildfires burning across central oklahoma and other parts of the state this evening. The main focus in on a fire northeast of Stillwater.
Crews are asking everyone in the town of Glencoe to evacuate immediately. They say the fire is spreading from the south and so anyone evacuating should go to the north and east of town.
We know Highway 108 is closed right now due to the fire. We are waiting to hear from the Red Cross on a shelter location.

Also residents in the town of Drumright need to pay attention. A wildfire there between county roads 750 and 35-20 is burning out of control. Anyone living on County Road 35-20 to the county line need to evacuate right now. A shelter has been set up at the Cushing Community Center.
Bob Moore Chopper 4 is working to catch up on all the fires across the state. The Chopper was over the Slaughterville fire and was headed to the Glencoe fire.
Another day of record breaking heat is making it tough for firefighters and now there is concern about a wind shift when a front comes through later tonight.
Several houses can be seen in the path of the Glencoe fire.

http://kfor.com/2012/08/04/wind-still-fueling-fires-in-oklahoma/

I really wonder why they are flying over all these fires. They aren't saying much with the olympics being on. And since they are tape delayed, can't they just delay it a bit more? The info is not easy to find, I haven't found any that's very current. I'm sure that those that have evacuated want to know where the actual fires are located instead of the broad "between these roads and these roads" statements. They give very detailed info on tornadoes, why not these fires?

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well my wife (who is in OKC) texts me and says there is a fire around Glencoe and that the wind is coming from the northeast, which would take it straight to our house. She heard this from her mother. But I checked the wind myself minutes ago. Out of the southwest. Your article seems to confirm that. Thanks for the interest Shadowrider; I am guessing that the map you screenshot yesterday for the Noble fires requires Google Earth?

I'm tempted to go drive out and see for myself, but I don't want to get in the way.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really wonder why they are flying over all these fires. They aren't saying much with the olympics being on. And since they are tape delayed, can't they just delay it a bit more? The info is not easy to find, I haven't found any that's very current. I'm sure that those that have evacuated want to know where the actual fires are located instead of the broad "between these roads and these roads" statements. They give very detailed info on tornadoes, why not these fires?

My entirely uneducated opinion would be that Okies are very used to dealing with tornado outbreaks, but not with the number of wildfires now burning in the state.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Well my wife (who is in OKC) texts me and says there is a fire around Glencoe and that the wind is coming from the northeast, which would take it straight to our house. She heard this from her mother. But I checked the wind myself minutes ago. Out of the southwest. Your article seems to confirm that. Thanks for the interest Shadowrider; I am guessing that the map you screenshot yesterday for the Noble fires requires Google Earth?

I'm tempted to go drive out and see for myself, but I don't want to get in the way.

If the wind is coming out of the Southwest.....Then the fire is moving Northeast.

There is a front near Stillwater that may change the wind direction from SE to the North at any time.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Yes the pic was out of Google Earth. But you get to it by going to the US Forestry page. They have a link that will open it up in Google Earth if you have it installed, which I do. I use it for work sometimes. The smallest time increment is 0-6 hours, so it ain't real useful.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the wind is coming out of the Southwest.....Then the fire is moving Northeast.

There is a front near Stillwater that may change the wind direction from SE to the North at any time.

Yes, that cutie Emily Sutton said so on their normal broadcast. She was implying that she expected the wind to shift up there at any time, so it probably has by now. Maybe...

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Keep your eyes open, when channel 5 told about Glencoe they mentioned a small area in Stillwater being evacuated. I also heard the Cimmaron turnpike was closed at Stillwater.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pic from my house of the Glencoe fire.

i1058.photobucket.com_albums_t414_3inSlugger_photo_1.jpg

I am reading everything I can, but since none of the news stations are covering anything, it is hard to be sure where anything is.

Latest posts

Top Bottom