first case failure...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffsoward

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We were at one of the many gunshows at the fairgrounds and there was a guy selling reloaded ammo out of his trunk in the parking lot. My buddy bought some, but I was like "you don't know what he put in there or if he even knows what he is doing." I don't think he has ever fired any of that stuff.

I have been hit in the face by a couple pieces of copper jacket at H&H, that was bad enough, I couldn't imagine a case exploding.

Yeah, I wouldn't shoot any reloads unless they were from someone I know pretty well. There are guys I trust to reload and then there's the guy selling out of his trunk...

Karat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have always wanted to try reloading, but I fear its something I will spend alot of money on equipment and material and never use it. What little free time I get, I really don't want to do anything that resembles work...lol... Especially since the calibers I shoot regularly, ammo is readily available and inexpensive, at Walmart....lol

Bobrob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's not only reloads, mil-surplus can let go as well.

I had a WCC '68 headstamp in 5.56 split all the way through the rim to the primer pocket. It blew the bottom out of the mag along with the remaining two rounds.

I quit for the day and gathered up all the pieces, thinking my franken AR had shelled out.

Inspection did not reveal any broken parts or damage.(except to the mag) that's when I noticed brass deposited on the green follower, and made me look at all the brass, that's when I found it.

I replaced the follower and put the mag back together, and continue to use the Ar and the mag.

I was wearing eye protection and won't shoot without it!

jeffsoward

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have always wanted to try reloading, but I fear its something I will spend alot of money on equipment and material and never use it. What little free time I get, I really don't want to do anything that resembles work...lol... Especially since the calibers I shoot regularly, ammo is readily available and inexpensive, at Walmart....lol

See, that's where we're different. I treat ALL of my gun stuff as relaxation.
When my mom passed away last month, I promptly went out to the garage and banged out a thousand rounds of .45acp (given, they weren't exactly what I wanted but they run fine). I use reloading as kind of a mental masturbation (not trying to be dirty here, just making a point). I get so into checking, cleaning, prepping and loading that everything else just gets pushed out of the way and I relax.
I spend alot of my free time in the garage tinkering with reloads or my guns to bring on the happy.

Karat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
See, that's where we're different. I treat ALL of my gun stuff as relaxation.
When my mom passed away last month, I promptly went out to the garage and banged out a thousand rounds of .45acp (given, they weren't exactly what I wanted but they run fine). I use reloading as kind of a mental masturbation (not trying to be dirty here, just making a point). I get so into checking, cleaning, prepping and loading that everything else just gets pushed out of the way and I relax.
I spend alot of my free time in the garage tinkering with reloads or my guns to bring on the happy.

I see what you mean, but atleast at first I would be so worried about getting everything right that I don't think I would enjoy it. A guy I work with keeps trying to get me into reloading as well.

jeffsoward

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see what you mean, but atleast at first I would be so worried about getting everything right that I don't think I would enjoy it. A guy I work with keeps trying to get me into reloading as well.

If nothing else, the savings are nice (but it takes a few rounds to recoup your investment) but if you shoot suppressed or matches, then it's beneficial because you can load the rounds that you are comfortable with (as long as they make PF for the match).
There are alot of guys on here that reload. I'm sure any one of them would be willing to show you the basics. That's how I started.
Rusty (RustyZX9) and Mitch (J&K Bullet Casters) got me into it.
I still have some little things I have to work out, but they got me going nad now i'm sort of obsessed with my reloader.
I'd show you what little I know about it, but I'm in far NW OKC. You'd be doing alot of driving. Rusty is in Moore. I think Mitch is too (his shop is anyway).

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What was the weapon used in this case? Glocks with factory barrels tend to leave a bulge in the brass just ahead of the web due to the feed ramp confuguration. Resized brass is more brittle and can be dangerous in glocks with factory barrels. I am down to one glock, a 22 and I have aftermarket barrels in both 40sw and 357 sig for it. That makes me much more comfortable shooting reloads in it. Blitzfike

Latest posts

Top Bottom