First long trip on CNG with F250.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
NW OK to Chicago and back, 1793 miles total. Able to get CNG in Enid, Miami, Springfield MO, St. Louis and Schaumburg, IL (NW suburb of Chicago). Was able to run CNG for 1638 miles, and had to run gasoline for only 155 miles. I couldn't make it all the way from St. Louis to Chicago on CNG and vise versa. Needed a CNG pump in Bloomington, or a pump that will completely fill me up..............or a vehicle with better mpg!

Lowest CNG was here in OK at $1.65, highest was in Chicago at $2.49. Averaged 14.7mpg, spent $229.94 on CNG round trip. Estimated $37 worth of gasoline. Speed was 70-75 most of the time.

Saw reg unleaded as high as $3.93 and diesel for $4.97 in downtown Chicago.

The mpg in the pic is incorrect, the truck calculator doesn't factor the CNG in the equation, it always reads much higher than reality.

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_20140804_221143_zpsxo8ytrhq.jpg

T34r1tUp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
did you convert your truck? any info on the setup?

when i was in college i had got a license to do conversions, but i never got into it i just needed the credit hours. the kits then were too expensive, and mostly only fleet trucks could justify the expense. there also werent many filling stations. lately ive seen a few personal trucks rolling around on cng and its got me curious.

T34r1tUp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yours is the bi-fuel not the dedicated CNG. Just wondering does your truck have two sets of injectors?

in my mind most of the CNG kits were unnecessarily complicated. why do you need to have one injector per cyl if CNG does not suffer from the downfalls or liquid fuel? you cant atomize a gas any further, it doesnt puddle in the intake like carbs did. Why spend resources on one injector per cyl and have to make a computer to run it. thats what makes it expensive. hell why not just inject it at the throttle body and be done with it.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What engine? V10?

FWIW in my F150 that trip would have ran me AT LEAST $439 in fuel. That's at $3.55 a gallon which I just pulled out of my arse (I know real gas, when you can get it is higher outside of Oklahoma).

Edit: I just saw that you ran 70-75. If I run 75 in mine I don't get the 14.5 that I calculated, so it would have been more. Unless it was downhill then it would have been way less. Perfectly flat and no wind I can get 16 or so at 70, but with this truck it's uphill both ways. Always! CNG is coming to mine soon!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
It's got a 6.2l v8. The v10 is only available in the f550. Can't tell any power difference between gasoline and cng....this is my first non diesel, so over all it feels weak even though the numbers say it's not supposed to be.

Latest posts

Top Bottom