First salute silver dollar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got mine from the bank in Alva. It was a Peace Dollar. Since I worked at the bank during college as a 'custodial engineer', (that is what they called my job) it was given to me by the bank president when he found out why I wanted one. He was a retired Pacific Theater, WWII P38 pilot. In fact, he was one of the pilots in the controversy of which one shot down Yamamoto.

As I recall my then girlfriend pinned me and my Master Sergeant Instructor saluted me.

Last edited:

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kind of a departure, but somewhat related. Tulsa Gold and Silver had a good selection of Peace Dollars over the last few months. They were tops to deal with too....one of the patriarchs in the family passed, who was born in 1922, and I went in and got a bunch of 1922 ones from them to give to the kids as a memorial token. I asked about cleaning products to shine them up a bit and the guy looked at me like I was crazy. I explained I was not collecting at all and why I was getting them and he took them to the back and got em looking super for me. I really appreciated that as a gesture. I made a little insert with his old Army photo and one from just recently with his info on it and the kids really liked it. Were I in OKC I hear @SNAKE PLISSKEN is a pretty good dude to deal with.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Giving that dollar will mean more to the young officer than it would the recipient, unless they are a friend and will keep it for honor and sentiment.

Otherwise, the recipient will probably sell it at a profit and never think twice about it or that officer again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom