First Shotgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So I bought my first shotgun this week in anticipation of my first turkey season...Remington 870 12ga w/28" barrel. Couple of questions I hoped you all might help with.

First, I am not sure which choke I need. I bought a box of 3" Winchester Supreme High Velocity Turkey Loads, but I couldn't find anywhere on the box whether the shot was made of lead, tungsten or steel. I've read that getting the wrong choke for your shell could result in damaging the gun and injuring the hunter, so I am really cautious about which one to buy.

Second, is the 28" barrel fairly standard among turkey hunters? I just get the feeling it's a bit longer than I would have liked, but I guess I'll get used to it. Is it possible to buy shorter barrels and just swap them out as necessary?

Finally, in the box was a small package of multicolored pins and a magnetic sight attachment. When I attach sight attachment (thre was already a pin in it), it completely blocks out the front sight near the muzzle...is that how it's supposed to be?

Sorry for all the noob questions...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I bought my first shotgun this week in anticipation of my first turkey season...Remington 870 12ga w/28" barrel. Couple of questions I hoped you all might help with.

First, I am not sure which choke I need. I bought a box of 3" Winchester Supreme High Velocity Turkey Loads, but I couldn't find anywhere on the box whether the shot was made of lead, tungsten or steel. I've read that getting the wrong choke for your shell could result in damaging the gun and injuring the hunter, so I am really cautious about which one to buy.

I can't tell you how many turkey I've taken with the Win Supreme turkey loads. Good choice. I use 5 shot but others prefer 4's or 6's. Its lead so no problem with any choke.
I know this goes against the manufacturers and others philosophy of turkey hunting, but none of my guns have 3" chambers, so its the 2 3/4" shell in my 24" Citori with a standard full choke. Knocks em dead every time.
Some turkey chokes are so tight that they have to use scopes like a rifle or risk a miss.
Most important thing is to pattern your shotgun. Some do not shoot to the point of aim. You want the turkey head in the center of the pattern, not on the edge.
I know some can use the hevi-shot and others, to get more range, but for me, the hunt is all about how close a turkey can be called in before killing him. There are times when a big old tom hung up at 45 yds that I wished some of the long range stuff was in the chamber, but that just gives another excuse to go out and try and outsmart him.

Second, is the 28" barrel fairly standard among turkey hunters? I just get the feeling it's a bit longer than I would have liked, but I guess I'll get used to it. Is it possible to buy shorter barrels and just swap them out as necessary?
Yes, you can buy many different barrels from a rifled slug gun to a smoothbore with rib, etc

Finally, in the box was a small package of multicolored pins and a magnetic sight attachment. When I attach sight attachment (thre was already a pin in it), it completely blocks out the front sight near the muzzle...is that how it's supposed to be?
Don't know what type of sight that is, but I'm sure sombody on here has been down that road before, so I'll defer to them

All good questions.

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Dennis,

Thanks for the answers. The shells I decided on were the 2 3/4" No. 5s as well. I figured for a first time shotgun user, I could live with the smaller shell.

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With 2 3/4" shells your range will be severely limited. Even though shells are expensive get you a good ultra full choke and go pattern your gun at several ranges. My mossy with 3 1/2" mags and ultra full choke is good out to 60 yards with a certain ammo (rem nitro i think). But at about 45 the pattern starts getting low and I need to hold over. I tried some federal something or anothers and they started dropping and widening out much sooner.

Spend the money to know your gun. What works for me doesn't work for everyone. I have a couple of buddies and we usually go buy 3 to 4 different loads, split the cost and see what works for each of our shottys. ( haven't done it in a while because I found something that works.)

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

that's a high visibility sight, and it's supposed to block the bead. I have some on a few of my guns, it helps me to get my head down. it should look like a green/yellow/red dot, if it looks like a line you don't have your head down.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis,

Thanks for the answers. The shells I decided on were the 2 3/4" No. 5s as well. I figured for a first time shotgun user, I could live with the smaller shell.

go with the 3 inch. you could have a bird hang up at 45-50 yards and the 2 3/4 won't get there.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your barrel length is pretty much the standard for shotguns. Turkey only guns tend to be shorter, 21" or so, but your gun will do fine. I like the patternmaster chokes in my shotguns for turkeys and for geese. They really shoot a great pattern and my experience has been that the Remington Hevishot loads pattern significantly better than lead. You do need to try some different ones in your gun or just shoot what you have and check the distance you can shoot it and call the birds in that close. What Dennis said about patterning your gun is of utmost importance. I have had several Remingtons over the years that would not shoot to point of aim....even brand new ones. Good luck and I hope you get to take some cool hero pics to share with us.