First time hunter with questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

void.pointer

New to the site!
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I live in Dallas, TX and I have a lot of family up in Oklahoma. I took my hunter safety course here in Dallas. On the 20th I'm going to OK with my family to go deer hunting on some private land around Wilburton, OK. Since this is my first time hunting, I had some questions. Note that I went to wildlifedepartment.com to read up on any information possible first.
  1. In hunter safety, I learned that you must wear a hunter orange vest AND cap when hunting on public land, and on private land it is not required by law but recommended. As far as OK is concerned, is hunter orange required on private land? If not, would a simple orange cap suffice or should I use the vest + cap?
  2. Since I'm a non-resident, looking at prices online here, it seems that to go deer hunting a license will cost me $206. Is this correct?
  3. I'm still trying to figure out if we're going to hunt antlered or antler-less deer, but it seems like the prices are the same regardless. Why the distinction? Is one more abundant than the other?
  4. If I purchase the incredibly expensive $206 license but am unable to make a kill, do I get a refund (probably a silly question but again I'm new to this)?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. By the way, what are temperatures normally like around Wilburton in Oklahoma? I've bought a few layers but not sure how cold it will be.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

1. In hunter safety, I learned that you must wear a hunter orange vest AND cap when hunting on public land, and on private land it is not required by law but recommended. As far as OK is concerned, is hunter orange required on private land? If not, would a simple orange cap suffice or should I use the vest + cap?

Yes, you must wear at least an orange vest and hat on private land if deer hunting. If hunting other game you must have at least one of them on.
  2. Since I'm a non-resident, looking at prices online here, it seems that to go deer hunting a license will cost me $206. Is this correct?

If you want a buck and doe tag you can get a combination tag for $256. This will allow you one antlered and one antlerless deer. Make sure you check the antlerless zones in the regs for dates open to antlerless hunting.
  3. I'm still trying to figure out if we're going to hunt antlered or antler-less deer, but it seems like the prices are the same regardless. Why the distinction? Is one more abundant than the other?

Different areas of the state have various dates that antlerless hunting is allowed, and yes most parts of the state have lots of does.
  4. If I purchase the incredibly expensive $206 license but am unable to make a kill, do I get a refund (probably a silly question but again I'm new to this)?

Nope, no refunds

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. By the way, what are temperatures normally like around Wilburton in Oklahoma? I've bought a few layers but not sure how cold it will be.

Good luck, be safe, and have fun!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom