First Time Pistol Shooter, What to Teach?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Taking my 17 year old son shooting tomorrow, with his grandpa and myself, and were working pistol. He has never shot pistol before, only rifle. I'm getting him up at 0830 tomorrow to go over pistol fundamentals with him, like how not to lose a chunk of skin to the slide and how to grip, but could use some recommendations. If it's just me coming up with a list of what to go over I might miss something. He has already had a private lesson with a professional, before I took him shooting with rifles so he is familiar with the 4 rules, I just need to reinforce them as it's a whole lot easier to kill yourself or someone else with a pistol mistake. Fortunately I have a dryfire system for training, that I can let him play with beforehand. Any recommendations from you all?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Always emphasize the muzzle stays down range and pointed at the berm. A lot of accidents caused by a myriad of things can be mitigated by this one safety rule.
I had a gunsmith work over a trigger on a pistol of mine that I use in steel challenge. During the stage, we had to transfer back to the start of the stage to unload, show clear, and put the pistol back in the case. On the walk back with multiple people including the RSO seeing my finger off the trigger, a spring or something gave way and the gun fired off a round which hit the berm where it was pointed.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Keep the gun pointed in a safe direction at all times.
Keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to fire.
Always drop the mag out of a semi-automatic before you check/ clear the chamber.
Warn him while griping the gun to cup the gun with his weak hand and not have the weak hand thumb where it can get sliced by the slide.
Never fire another round after a squib load until the barrel has been checked.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Safety 1st. As mentioned above, incorrect grip and/or trigger manipulation can be killers of accuracy. Also, proper grip (support hand thumb placement) depends on whether or not there is a slide/thumb safety e.g. 1911 types. Sight alignment and focus on the front sight. Trigger manipulation, finger placement and finding that wall.

Funds and time permitting, send him to Marshall Luton's Advanced Combat Pistol 1 class. They will definitely get him dialed in. Best in the business.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Safety 1st. As mentioned above, incorrect grip and/or trigger manipulation can be killers of accuracy. Also, proper grip (support hand thumb placement) depends on whether or not there is a slide/thumb safety e.g. 1911 types. Sight alignment and focus on the front sight. Trigger manipulation, finger placement and finding that wall.

Funds and time permitting, send him to Marshall Luton's Advanced Combat Pistol 1 class. They will definitely get him dialed in. Best in the business.
Bears repeating. ALL of it. Have fun!!²

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, the little bastard outshot me 😁 . His first shot out of the gate he scored almost a bullseye and it read a 99 on my MantisX. His last mag is as follows in the pic. I think the guy is dead, with one hole in the chicken wing and one in the love handle.

PXL_20240518_154658992.jpg

Edit: Makes sense that he does well, he is 17 and doesn't have RA.

Latest posts

Top Bottom