Fishing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Johnson

GOD, GUNS, and GUTS made AMERICA GREAT
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Just thought this was a cool pic I would share from yesterday. hundreds and hundred of fish pictures and they are usually about this fish and don’t care about background as long as the fish looks good. This one was both I thought
View attachment 252280
What kind of bass is that?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
probably a personal thing, but I have cleaned one in my life for myself many years ago, I didnt really think it was good enough to ever do again based on other fish species I have had.
Fantastic picture!
I’ve cleaned many of them mostly for other folks that have never worked on a fish of that size.
It’s no different than a crappie, just bigger.
It’s amazing how little decent meat you get off a 50 lb spoonbill. They have an incredible amount of fat that has to be trimmed which is where a lot of the bad flavors are retained.
When finishing up, you might get 5 lbs meat from them. It’s not bad, but crappie, sand bass, hybrids and blues are much better eating

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I sprinkle creole seasoning all over a chunk of it and grill it over hot smoking wood fire.
Gets some smoke flavor and lets that fat drip out.
Cook on all sides until golden.

DO not freeze it as that different fish flavor gets stronger.
I am not positive but I would bet that fish oil/fat in it is very good for you.

Best to cook it all and eat it fresh.
Now Gar is super tasty.

mgssamn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fantastic picture!
I’ve cleaned many of them mostly for other folks that have never worked on a fish of that size.
It’s no different than a crappie, just bigger.
It’s amazing how little decent meat you get off a 50 lb spoonbill. They have an incredible amount of fat that has to be trimmed which is where a lot of the bad flavors are retained.
When finishing up, you might get 5 lbs meat from them. It’s not bad, but crappie, sand bass, hybrids and blues are much better eating
Thanks.
Honestly that is one of the other factors for me how little meat you get out of the fish after cleaning the fish. If someone has never cleaned one they likely will be disappointed in quantity
I really just enjoy taking people out that have never caught such a fish. I talk them out of wanting to keep prior to coming or getting in the boat :-)

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have often thought maybe the smaller ones will have less fat and less red meat and taste a little bit less strong.

Have any of you cleaned and eaten a sub 20 lb one?
Mine have all been in the 60-75 lb range that I cleaned and have eaten.

Jack Johnson

GOD, GUNS, and GUTS made AMERICA GREAT
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Thanks.
Honestly that is one of the other factors for me how little meat you get out of the fish after cleaning the fish. If someone has never cleaned one they likely will be disappointed in quantity
I really just enjoy taking people out that have never caught such a fish. I talk them out of wanting to keep prior to coming or getting in the boat :-)
Nice fish!

Last edited by a moderator:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is catching with hands catching ?
I jumped in the Arkansas river once and got a paddlefish by hand.
Very cold and a bit of drizzle and seen it angling towards the shore and I estimated a place to sit and be ready to pounce.

Picked the perfect spot as the fish swam right towards me.
5 feet out it was 10 feet deep though.
That was very thrilling.
Cave man style.

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you fillet every bit ot the red off it isn't bad deep fried in corn starch and beer tempura batter style. Doesn't taste like fish though which pertty much ruins it for me. Tastes more like maybe chicken nuggets.
But if you hit even a speck of that red stripe you miss you will know it instantly as it will about knock you down with an overpowering stout fish taste.

I usually don't even mess with one unless its over 50 lb. They are half head and you have to leave the tail part as it is almost solid red. After your done you might get maybe 7 or 8 pounds off one that size.
Another strange thing is that they have no bones, just a cartilage from head to tail and they will smell just like freshly mowed grass when you fillet one.
Those things are just from some other world..

Might as well just catch you a couple dozen crappie and or catfish and be done with it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom