Bass Lakes S,SE OK?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spooncg33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Many years ago I used to bass fish Arbuckle and McGee Creek periodically (15-20) but I had a family, work etc.

Now my son is old enough to fish with me and cast well, stay out for most of the day, etc.

I have stopped fishing for the most part but still take my bass boat out a few times each year. For lakes in S,SE Oklahoma are they both good lakes or is Murray or someone else better? We fish at Texoma a lot and keep the boat there during the spring/summer, but wanted him to experience something different this spring when it warms up.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I concur.
Sardis has one caveat, it has the biggest population of venomous snakes of any place I have ever camped, fished or hunted. In one 2 day and overnight visit we counted more than 20 cottonmouths, 12 copperheads and 6 rattlesnakes. If you are walking around after dark you really have to pay attention and I would never camp with little kids there.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sardis has one caveat, it has the biggest population of venomous snakes of any place I have ever camped, fished or hunted. In one 2 day and overnight visit we counted more than 20 cottonmouths, 12 copperheads and 6 rattlesnakes. If you are walking around after dark you really have to pay attention and I would never camp with little kids there.
We have a lot of venomous snakes down here. Growing up it was standard procedure for watching for snakes.

Angler2312

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sardis is good unless its windy. Mcgee Creek still has one the highest population of DBL digit bass in Oklahoma. If you can make the drive Broken Bow is beautiful and has Smallies. Some of the smaller city lakes have good populations of bass but not size.......and less crowded...and several have grass. I fished a small tourney on John Wells last year and we caught 100 fish easy. Ony weighed 14 lbs though 🤷‍♂️. Parts of the Navigation Chanel hold a lot of big fish in the spring........bays and bayous on Kerr and 3 Forks.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sardis is good unless its windy. Mcgee Creek still has one the highest population of DBL digit bass in Oklahoma. If you can make the drive Broken Bow is beautiful and has Smallies. Some of the smaller city lakes have good populations of bass but not size.......and less crowded...and several have grass. I fished a small tourney on John Wells last year and we caught 100 fish easy. Ony weighed 14 lbs though 🤷‍♂️. Parts of the Navigation Chanel hold a lot of big fish in the spring........bays and bayous on Kerr and 3 Forks.
I forgot about McGee Creek. I saw a 8lb largemouth that came from there.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I own a few acres of remote mountain land that overlooks sardis lake. I have spent a fair bit amount of time out there in the area.

These guys ain’t kidding about the snakes or the wind. Both are a force to be reckoned with in that area.

Sardis also happens to be one of the best white bass lakes in the state

Latest posts

Top Bottom