Flashlight LED upgrades

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got my LED today. Here's my impression so far.

I ordered a CREE R2 250 lumen single mode LED upgrade bulb. It has a slightly longer body than the P60 that it is supposed to be a direct replacement for.
[Broken External Image]

I didn't think it was a big deal until I installed it and found that I only get 1.5 turns on the bezel threads. I'm not sure how well it seals against the o-ring now, or if it will be an issue at all.
**ETA-just read on CPF that the spring can be removed for some fitments, tightens further but still not quite all the way**
[Broken External Image]

I am impressed with the light output though. Compared to the 65 lumen P60 bulb, it definitely throws more light. It has a slightly larger hot spot in the center, but with brighter spill. The spill isn't as large as the P60, but has a more uniform brightness. The pics don't really do it justice, my iphone had some trouble focusing with the P60 bulb, the hotspot seemed to wash the whole image out, while the LED just lit up the area for the pic.

P60
[Broken External Image]

CREE R2
[Broken External Image]

Last edited:

44minimum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And what does something like this little upgrade cost? Is it more than the cost of a new light? And does it just drop in place of the other one or are there modifications involve?

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And what does something like this little upgrade cost? Is it more than the cost of a new light? And does it just drop in place of the other one or are there modifications involve?

It's a drop in replacement, just under $20 on amazon, one place even had free shipping. Just pay attention, one comes in on the slow boat from China, takes 3+ weeks.

longshot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did an LED upgrade on my surefire m951 and didn't want to remove the spring and couldn't find the correct drill bit to bore it out without spending $30+ on one.so I bought a pack of stone sanding drums that fit in a cordless drill from Steve's tools for around $2.50 they work perfect bored the body out it now fits like the old bulb and I can still use my old Incan bulb that I now keep as a backup.

Latest posts

Top Bottom