Fly Fishing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkkeith

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am new to Tulsa coming from the Sierra Mountains where large trout were all over and catching on the fly was the way to go. Any place close to Tulsa that I can have a good morning on a river?

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
gore on the lower ill would be the closest but it wont be near what your use to
the closest place that would be like home to u would be Spring Valley... its about an hour and half from tulsa and its nice and has some huge fish..... bring your wallet though$ $ $

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
for the life of me, I can't remember the place, but somewhere around Tulsa there is a lake or creek or something that one of the small suburbs pays to stock. Maybe you Tulsa guys know more about it.

It won't be pristine stream fishing like your used to. Just stockers.

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oklahoma has 2 places with year around trout. Not many wild fish here. Mainly stocked fish, some wild fish below Broken Bow lake. 3 1/2 - 4 hour drive to that place though. Lower Illinois below Tenkiller lake is a trout river. They are nothing like the Sierra waters you fished. Missouri and Arkansas has some year around trout rivers too. It will take you roughly a little over an hour from Tulsa to the Lower Illinois river. It is 90 miles for me one way and I live just west of Tulsa in Sand Springs.

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
for the life of me, I can't remember the place, but somewhere around Tulsa there is a lake or creek or something that one of the small suburbs pays to stock. Maybe you Tulsa guys know more about it.

It won't be pristine stream fishing like your used to. Just stockers.

Are you talking about pretty water lake north of Sapulpa? I've never fished it.

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you talking about pretty water lake north of Sapulpa? I've never fished it.

That's the one, I've never fished it either but I think they stock it mainly in the fall. Again, not the wild fish you're used to, try fly fishing for bass. Even the perch and such are fun with a fly rod. I grew up chasing trout out west as well and I've found that the warm water fish are a hoot with fly gear.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gore is the only place fairly close to Tulsa. The Lower Mt. Fork below Broken Bow has some nice fishing, but it's a little too far for a day trip.

Latest posts

Top Bottom