Fly Fishing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's the one, I've never fished it either but I think they stock it mainly in the fall. Again, not the wild fish you're used to, try fly fishing for bass. Even the perch and such are fun with a fly rod. I grew up chasing trout out west as well and I've found that the warm water fish are a hoot with fly gear.

Can't really speak about the rivers up north but if the wildlife department follows the same course for all the places they stock it'll be November 1. Talked to one of the park rangers at the Blue River WMA recently. Said they restock every two weeks up until March. Get some bigger fish from Missouri little after the season opens and stock those. I would assume the department follows suit for all their stocking locations. But again, thats just an assumption.

OkieOFT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've fished both the Illinois and just last week the lower mtn fork and I can definately say the Illinois is the better river. Just head down to the Mar-Val resort. The fishing is free, just stop by the office for a parking pass. I don't ever have much luck because I don't have a fly rig, but the guys fishing with flys are always pulling em' in.

I'm lucky enough to live right in the middle between both of those rivers, and come this November they'll be stocking below Robbers Cave too.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Roaring River is always an option as well but like i said earlier Spring Valley would be the only thing around here that would be to your liking

I went to roaring river with my Grandpa years ago. Never could get used to fishing shoulder to shoulder with others.
He would take me down the river a ways where it wasn't so crowded.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went to roaring river with my Grandpa years ago. Never could get used to fishing shoulder to shoulder with others.

Ya, nothing like standing next to 500 people waiting for the morning whistle and everyone cast and 499 guys get tangled up together and the one guy that doesnt catches a fish.
It can still be fun though, me and buddy of mine stayed there one weekend and we averaged about 60 fish a day.

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went this morning for about 4 hours. Only caught 13 and lost a few. Fishing seems to taper off in late summer, maybe due to the heat they don't stock as much for fear of a fish kill. I saw one fish kill in late May because of the heat. Guessing over 50 -100 fish in one area turned bottom side up.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

They have a great stretch of the river that is catch and release only. You can also wade fish in that area. There is hardly anyone ever fishing there, and there are some good size rainbows to catch.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They have a great stretch of the river that is catch and release only. You can also wade fish in that area. There is hardly anyone ever fishing there, and there are some good size rainbows to catch.

That was the spot. Catch and release only.
Grandpa passed away many years ago, but I still have his fly reels, antique spinning gear/tackle, other and gear on my wall in a minature half-canoe display case. My cousin got his split bamboo with extra tips. I've tried to buy it off of him to make a full display, but he won't part with it, and I won't part with mine.

ryan7878

Marksman
Reaction score
I was born and raised in Oklahoma but I have lived in California the past 12 years (Military). I just recently took up Fly Fishing. I spent a couple of weeks this summer in Montana fly fishing on the Yellowstone, Madison, Gallatin rivers and several awesome spring creeks. I have recently been fishing Yosemite and the east Walker here in Cali. I will be coming back to Oklahoma in Late October for Deer season. I hunt down in Pushmataha/McCurtain County. There is some decent Fly Fishing down there. If you are interested, hit me up and we can plan something for when I get home and give it a try down there. It is a few hour drive from tulsa but it might be worth it if the bite is on.

jarhead983

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am new to Tulsa coming from the Sierra Mountains where large trout were all over and catching on the fly was the way to go. Any place close to Tulsa that I can have a good morning on a river?

As mentioned above, Sapulpas Pretty Water lake is stocked in the fall. No river fishing. Tenkiller is stocked and of course Broken Bow.

But for about the same amount of time you can go below Beaver lake in Ark., it's a 3hr drive, but worth it. I just got back from an overnighter there. I tore them up for about an hour and half yesterday before they opened the gates. This morning I caught about a dozen in 3hrs. A little slow, but I was trying new territory. Did catch a real nice one about 6.5lbs. Most were in the 13-16" slot limit so I had to release them. Then again, I wasn't keeping any of them anyway. If you have to get the wifes OK to go, you could always take her and let her shop in Eureka Springs while you fish. Although that can get expensive, trust me.

If you can spend a weekend, I would recommend going over to Mountain Home Ar. It's about 5hrs, but has some of the best trout fishing there is. I believe the current Rainbow world record was caught in the Norfork river and previous Brown world record was caught on the White. If I'm not mistaken the current Brown trout record was caught a little further south on the Little Red river.

Latest posts

Top Bottom