Flying to Florida soon.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been on the fence trying to decide to take a gun with me when we fly to Florida this summer. Talking to my wife last week, it would appear that I have no option. I was told I had better take it with me.

So now I'm on the hunt for a case just big enough to fit the gun, box of ammo(American states it must be in original packaging), and a couple of magazines. I guess I could use this to buy a M&P Compact and some new holsters. The M&P case has the room for everything metioned. Hmmmm.

Second headache is getting brushed up on FL law. Both gun and knife. I prefer to keep my Plan B on my belt when a gun is not going to work. I just can't seem to find anything pertaining to fixed blade weapons. My Benchmade is good to go. Just need some clarification on the Plan B.

Once I get this wrapped up I can focus on whats important. Getting to the airport on time. and enjoying several days on the beach.

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I fly about once a month and use a Plano hard plastic case inside my checked bag. I have a single pistol case and a larger 4-pistol case, depending on whether I am taking just one or several. The small one costs under $10 and will hold a pistol, 50 count box of ammo (I use WWB or Federal boxes with the plastic holders) and an extra magazine or 2.

I would start at http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf for researching the laws. There is a link for knife laws toward the end as well as references to the state law itself.

Enjoy the beach.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would start at http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf for researching the laws. There is a link for knife laws toward the end as well as references to the state law itself.

Enjoy the beach.

That is where I started once I got the TSA crap covered.

They just link to a spreadsheet with City or County websites and Y or N on folders. Nothing to detailed.

sdalover

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bravo for the wife not giving you the choice to leave it at home. Don't know if you are staying with family or doing the regular tourist thing. Rental car, hotel, etc. Times are tough in Florida and there's nothing like friendly unarmed vistors to take advantage of. Don't be that person. Take full advantage of Florida's Gun laws.

Once you fly with a checked gun..you'll think that was easy. I don't know why i even gave not bringing the gun a thought. Really is no big deal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom